Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't remove my Smitty SRC front bumper - Ideas???

Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't remove my Smitty SRC front bumper - Ideas???

I should have known when the front and rear bumper were so hard to install that it would be a giant PITA to take them off!

I have the top two bolts out, and the bottom bolts have the stover nuts removed. I never installed the two bottom carriage bolts that the instructions say to remove, so I should have them all. I cannot get this thing to budge! I have hit it on all corners with a 4lb hammer and some from underneath thinking that would loosen it up, but nothing. I am 240lbs, stood on the front up it and jumped up and down...nothing.

I am out of ideas.

Please help me remove this piece of crap so I can install my Poison Spyder Brawler Lite this afternoon!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Strap it to a tree and back up?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Strap it to a tree and back up?

Agreed.

Big Tree.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

Hmm...new house, so all of my trees are small and dont think they would hold up. I do have a grand cherokee I could strap it to I guess.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Trying throw a jack under there to relieve some pressure.. Smitty is known to be off on their fabrication. I'm guessing the 4 studs are getting hung up.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
Trying throw a jack under there to relieve some pressure.. Smitty is known to be off on their fabrication. I'm guessing the 4 studs are getting hung up.
just put the hi-lift under it and jacked it up and had the front wheels almost off the ground. I don't get it. I am 99.97% sure that I have all of the bolts and nuts off and this thing is still supporting the weight of the front end???

I'm dumbfounded.

Wide wouldn't let me use her Jeep to anchor off of, so I am going to have to wait until the neighbor comes home in a few hours and use his truck with the hitch. If that doesn't work then I am out of ideas and guess I will drive it to a shop and see what they can do....
Old 04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Can you post a couple pics from a couple angles so we can see the area for studs etc..
Old 04-03-2014, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog21
Can you post a couple pics from a couple angles so we can see the area for studs etc..
I got it!!! Finally just got pissed off enough and broke it free. I thought maybe it was rusted really bad, but it wasn't. I think it just need some extra mad persuasion to get the threads in the one bolt to loosen up.

I still cant believe it took the weight of the front end without moving!!!

Thanks fellas!
Old 04-03-2014, 01:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
I got it!!! Finally just got pissed off enough and broke it free. I thought maybe it was rusted really bad, but it wasn't. I think it just need some extra mad persuasion to get the threads in the one bolt to loosen up. I still cant believe it took the weight of the front end without moving!!! Thanks fellas!
I love getting pissed of and bashing shit! Glad it worked out!
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So how much are you selling the old bumper for?

Quick Reply: Can't remove my Smitty SRC front bumper - Ideas???