Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Caster

Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Caster

well on Monday i'm going to start installing my new adj control arms and i'm have some questions on the caster. i saw the forum for doing the front end alignment from project jk. it says that idea caster would be around 6 degrees for jk's with 3in or taller lifts. i have a 2.5 TF coil/shock lift which is basically a 3in lift. i went under my jeep to see what my current caster degree was and it came up at 5. now i measured from the same spot on the axle as they tell u to do on forum. although my drive way isn't perfectly level, will that play into the reading? also is there a positive or negative degree of caster? if i held my measuring instrument to the passenger axle the reading would be to the right of the zero degree mark. should it be on the 5 degree spot on the left side? that may have lost you but if u look at the same instrument that the alignment forum is using, i am using one very similar to it.. any ideas, please share.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Yes, ground that is not level will alter the caster numbers. You can take a measurement of the ground and add/subtract it from the numbers at the c's, or go find someplace level.

i went under my jeep to see what my current caster degree was and it came up at 5. now i measured from the same spot on the axle as they tell u to do on forum.
So you are placing the angle finder under the 'C' on both sides, and one shows 5deg but the other shows 0deg? Or did I misread that. Both C's should be close to the same numbers. (some posts indicate that they can be slightly different to account for road crown or whatever, but not 5deg off!) If you are that far off now, I'd guess that something is bent.

Take a look at this one also:
http://www.trailduty.com/temp/pinion_angle.pdf

Quick Reply: Caster