Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cat back exhaust

Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat back exhaust

im shopping for a cat back exhaust for my rubi, i think im gonna go with the
Banks one, anybody have any preference or exp? looking for a deep sound, but not a potential disturbing the peace ticket
Old 12-06-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

One of the guys I ride with has the banks.

Check out this thread, look at post #20, there are a couple of videos where you can hear the exhaust. It is the 4dr red rock.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=63303&page=2
Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

might wanna try a search...I've read on here somewhere that a few people were less than pleased with the Banks system. From what I've read it's not worth the money for the sound/power you get from it.

Alot of people just do what I did, which is just buy a different muffler and pay the local muffler shop to put it in the stock location....for a Flowmaster 40 series and installation I paid $133. The "cat back" systems are basically the same thing, just a replacement muffler with a couple feet of new pipe...might as well save some money for something else!

Here's mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu7QD6GlCA
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Super Freak

A few quotes from some others who may be of more help....

Originally Posted by beadbus
I purchased the Banks exhaust system and I must say that I think I lost RPM and engine power. I have posted a question for more 3.8 power and I am still working through it.
The exhaust is definately LOUDER, but the concerns of power has not been clarified. When I called Banks, they were very nice, but NO help. They told me to take my Jeep back to the installing dealer to make sure that the muffler was installed properlu (and it was). I would suggest to do more research and don't be in a rush.
Good Luck
Originally Posted by wdb
Get the flowmaster. I have the banks catback and am not exactly satisfied with it. It doesnt sound good enough to justify 500 bucks.

Originally Posted by Clownhunter69
I installed the Bank Monster a little under a year ago, and have really liked it. It was a little expensive, but it was a really easy install, and I like the sound. It's not that loud unless you are above 4500 RPMs, and I gained about two MPGs when I installed the exhaust and the AEM intake. It didn't require any welding or fabrication, and it's all Stainless Steal. I have had flowmasters on trucks in the past, but I really like the Banks stuff for my Jeeps.
Originally Posted by XJHammer
I also have the Banks Monster system and I'm very happy with it. The only thing that I want to change is adding some tack welds to the tubes.

I'm very happy with the exhaust note and the improved engine response. I also have an AFE intake. I'm going to get a hypertech tuner one of these days.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
............. what I've read it's not worth the money for the sound/power you get from it.
Alot of people just do what I did, which is just buy a different muffler and pay the local muffler shop to put it in the stock location....for a Flowmaster 40 series and installation I paid $133. The "cat back" systems are basically the same thing, just a replacement muffler with a couple feet of new pipe...might as well save some money for something else
Or you could have the aftermarket muffler relocated behind the drivers side chair (middle of the JK)..OP have used MagnaFlow or FlowMaster & are happy with them..If you're willing to spend a little more you could buy either the Woods or CoolTech muffler relocation kit...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:13 PM
JK Super Freak

^^^^^^^^
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I looked at Banks before I bought my Magnaflow kit. I went with Magnaflow because it has fewer pieces (fewer joints, less potential leakage) and has a welded on tip. The Magnaflow kit uses the band-style clamps which I prefer to the saddle-style ubolts with Banks. Also the tip on the Banks kit looks cheap to me. I paid $440 shipped for the Magnaflow system.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

I have the MBRP kit. Definetly check it out! Sounds awesome.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

If I were to get a flowmaster 40 series, what size should I get?
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM
JK Freak

I'm also running the Magnaflow. I like the sound a lot. Definitely a little deeper sound and a little extra pep.

Quick Reply: Cat back exhaust