Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center tailgate plate options

Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Rampage rear deck plate that I had painted to match the body color. It bolts right to the bolt holes that held the carrier.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Yeah. I am in NY and I am not sure about the third brake light passing inspections too.

I found the swag plate, but I dont want to rivet it on.

How are you people measuring and drilling the plates for stock bolt holes?
I recently read that the 3rd brake light should be above your other brake lights... Sucks, thought I was covered with my trailer hitch brake light.

The swag plate bolts on in the original holes, not sure why you think it would rivet on, those are just button head screws.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:14 PM
JK Junkie

In the picture it looks like it is riveted on? And I don't recall any bolts in those spots...

EDIT: I just looked again closely and yeah those are bolts. But what happened to the center vent? I don't see it at all? My tailgate has a big vertical (2008) air vent in the middle of the tailgate.

Last edited by IcyFridge; 08-08-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

In the picture it looks like it is riveted on? And I don't recall any bolts in those spots...

EDIT: I just looked again closely and yeah those are bolts. But what happened to the center vent? I don't see it at all? My tailgate has a big vertical (2008) air vent in the middle of the tailgate.
Our Element Plate uses factory bolts, and bolts on. It also allows you to keep the vent that regulates the air pressure in the vehicle. No permanent modifications are necessary to use it.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Junkie

I really like that vector plate. Might just order one! And... for those of you who have third brake lights in the center... how are you routing the wires? Do you pull the wires through the center vent or what?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

The swag plate you ordered comes with 4 washers, 2 for each side at the lower bolts.

You remove the plastic vent.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Junkie

Yep. Troy at Swagoffroad has been great to me. I am going to paint the inner aluminum plate black to retain the subtle look. I also am going to run two 4" LED strips from the center vent hole for third brake lights as well.

Anyone have tips on routing wires through the center vent hole? I have an extra stock tail light and I know there are two bulbs in there. I will splice into the wires and run it off there. That way I can just unplug or replug it as needed (inside the tailgate).
Old 08-09-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Super Freak

In post #5 of that thread you just posted. I really like that plate.
The "Stamp" is from Desert Snake and the background for it I made from some corregated pvc sign material. I roughed it up to give it a old timer look to it and laid down adhesion promoter , 2 layers of surf blue followed by one immediate coat of clear to setup the pearl, then 2 coats of clear later. slotted the back so air still flows out but water cannot get inside the tailgate. Then once centered I laid down a strip of foam weather seal gasket (Thin stuff from Frost King @ Home Depot)

And Viola

Old 08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Poison spyder makes a bad a$$ one.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks guys for the feedback! I went ahead and ordered the swagoffroad plate. I will try to run a LED strip through the hole from the center vent to right above the plate to stay legal. Planning on 2 4" LED strips (niteshaded as well)

Rancho/Vector - I appreciate your feedback in this thread and I will look into your plates when I do the same mod to my Dad's rubi and (maybe) the lady's JK.

Quick Reply: Center tailgate plate options