Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Centerforce Clutch Rattle?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Centerforce Clutch Rattle?

So I recently got my tranny partially rebuilt to fix the 6 Speed JOG issue (TSB should've been a recall) and had the Throwout bearing and clutch replaced at the same time. I went with CenterForce for both.

I love the feel of the clutch, a big improvement over stock. Also, for the first time since bought the Jeep just outside warranty I don't have to strong arm it to keep it in first gear.

Here's my issue, I noticed a faint rattle type noise when the clutch is out and the Jeep is idling. The noise goes away when the clutch is engaged and when traveling down the road. I took it back to the mechanic who said he thinks it is simply the design of the CenterForce and its normal.

He did offer to tear into and make sure but I told him I'd keep an ear on it for a few weeks and report back.

Those who CenterForce clutches with CF TOB's also do you have any noise? Do you agree that some noise is normal?

Thank you in advance!

RT
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I never noticed a rattle as you describe.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Clutch rattle to me is normal...
Ive had it in centerforces and on dual clutch systems.... its just vibration and doesnt harm anything as long as you arent getting any slippage when engaged.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never on a Jeep, but I've installed many on Mustangs and it was always a toss up on whether they'd make noise or not. I'm personally not a fan of the Centerforce stuff but many like it and I used to give those that wanted them installed a heads up that it may or may not make noise.

There's a wire ring that runs through a series of weights that interlace the pp fingers so plenty of opportunity to make some noise especially at idle.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fredrok
Never on a Jeep, but I've installed many on Mustangs and it was always a toss up on whether they'd make noise or not. I'm personally not a fan of the Centerforce stuff but many like it and I used to give those that wanted them installed a heads up that it may or may not make noise.

There's a wire ring that runs through a series of weights that interlace the pp fingers so plenty of opportunity to make some noise especially at idle.
This is exactly what my mechanic was saying, thank you all for confirming what he was saying.

Another quick question, hypothetically speaking if you really get on a new clutch during "break-in" could it slip a little and if it did is that something to worry about?

Thank you all!

RT
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is doing the same thing. No Centerforce clutch for me though. Noise stops as soon as foot touches the pedal.

I have a bit left before warranty runs out and planned on taking it to dealer to have it checked out.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by pxb006
Mine is doing the same thing. No Centerforce clutch for me though. Noise stops as soon as foot touches the pedal.

I have a bit left before warranty runs out and planned on taking it to dealer to have it checked out.
"Chirping" or "squeaking"? Throw out bearing, and fairly common too. In many cases it will eventually just go away. Sometimes not.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rtwill78
This is exactly what my mechanic was saying, thank you all for confirming what he was saying.

Another quick question, hypothetically speaking if you really get on a new clutch during "break-in" could it slip a little and if it did is that something to worry about?

Thank you all!

RT
You're welcome. I know CF recommends a break in period for their clutches and it certainly doesn't hurt to abide by it (and you should). It's just normal stop/go driving for the first (500?) miles and a bit more if primarily highway. However, that's almost impossible and borderline cruelty for the guys driving drag cars I used to work on and more than a few left my shop tires spinning without issue and with a hell of a lot more torque than what these Jeeps are laying down.

If your shop performed the task correctly (new pilot bushing/bearing, TO bearing, PP/disc and turned the flywheel) then you'll be in good shape but it doesn't hurt to take it easy at first anyway.

Last edited by fredrok; 09-30-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

The stock clutch on my 2012 Rattles alittle also.
Depends on the idle. If i push the shifter up or down it stops.
Doesnt effect anythg.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Its called roll over noise ( if you search )

mine from the factory has done this for 25,000 miles I call it sloppy workmanship the tollerences are not tight when building but meet specs so Chrysler and other manufactures allow them to leave the factory and we get stuck with them . And most people don't . Its not right in my opinion , but I guess that's the way it goes . youl never get rid of it unless you prob buy a new tranny

http://www.nexternal.com/uuc/articles/gear_rattle.htm

id love the issue to be resolved but . ive had to deal with it too

Last edited by jeepmojo; 09-30-2014 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Centerforce Clutch Rattle?