Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a 37" tyre...

Old 09-03-2017, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Choosing a 37" tyre...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently debating with myself over several choices for my next set of 37" tyres and am looking for some hands on feedback.

I currently have Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlars. I bought them 2nd hand at around 30-40% tread and have liked them so far, but they're on their way out.
My spare is a Hankook Dynapro RT03.

These are currently my two options, whether I buy 4 Hankooks and have a complete set of matching tyres that look to be a bit more road friendly. Or whether I spend a bit more on getting a fresh set of Goodyear MTR Kevlars that'll undoubtedly be better offroad.

If anyone has hands on experience with either (for the long term), any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My uses are wheeling (moderate/hard tracks) every 2-3 weeks, and being daily driven in the interim. This is why I'm leaning towards the Hankooks as a more road friendly tyre.

All options;
Hankook Dynapro: $420 (might be able to get that down further)
Goodyear Kevlar: $485 (bargained a shop down)
BFG KM2: $550
Mickey T MTZ: $540

Cheers,
Aaron
(note, I'm in Australia and have limited options)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you get Mastercraft MXT tires? They are affordable for 37" and a pretty decent Tire.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I have seen first hand, and read a decent bit of other complaints about balancing issues with the MTRs. Although they look better, and might be better offroad, that might be a risk you run. Others might chime in they've had great experiences with em. Not a huge fan of the looks of the Hankook, but those being the only two options, I'd probably lean that way myself. I will note I've not seen near as many MTR complaints in the last year or two. Maybe they resolved some manufacturing issues.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jtphoto JK
Can you get Mastercraft MXT tires? They are affordable for 37" and a pretty decent Tire.
Unfortunately not.

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have seen first hand, and read a decent bit of other complaints about balancing issues with the MTRs. Although they look better, and might be better offroad, that might be a risk you run. Others might chime in they've had great experiences with em. Not a huge fan of the looks of the Hankook, but those being the only two options, I'd probably lean that way myself. I will note I've not seen near as many MTR complaints in the last year or two. Maybe they resolved some manufacturing issues.
I had some balance issues when I first got my current set of MTRs. However 12g of balance beads in each sorted that out quick smart
Old 09-08-2017, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTR's

Originally Posted by resharp001
That's consistent with my experience. My first set of MTR's took all kinds of weight to balance, the new ones I purchased this year balanced easily - the tire installer said he was surprised.

Quick Reply: Choosing a 37" tyre...