Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Choosing a cargo rack - Gobi or Wild Boar

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure liked the looks of EVO's rack from SEMA this year. Anyone know if EVO plans to put it into production and whether other brackets will be made so it can work with hard tops?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kenallwine
For those that do have the Gobi, could I ask you to post up pictures of how you ran your lighting wiring from the light bar into the fender or where ever you entered the vehicle?
A few pics of mine... created some wiring harnesses and ran them across the bar, into the (provided!) hole near the top of the upright and down and out the bottom. I used some wire loom to clean it up where it makes the leap from the bar into the under-hood area. From there it's smooth sailing to some relays under the hood near the battery.

Wires tucked in under the cross member of the light bar:

Out the side and into the tube:

Out the bottom of the tube (drilled a hole in the rubber plug) and into the space under the cowling near the back of the hood:
Old 12-09-2009, 09:42 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

real clean install mmccurdy
Old 12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
JK Newbie

Gobi's definately worth the money. They have decent customer service when you get ahold of someone but they're terrible at getting back to you! If you don't need anything custom on it definately check out Alpha Ex, that way you deal w/ him instead of Gobi.

RE: wiring don't have any pics handy as I'm on a business trip but I ran back-up lights to the rear in the same fashion--wire to front A-pillar, through the rack, exits and has disconnects at the lightbar-rack mount then runs inside all the way back.

being a short guy with typically lots of stuff on the roof (kayak, cargo carrier, skis, etc) the ladder alone is worth going with GOBI.

RE:mileage the rack brought a stock auto-4-dr rubi down to 16-18 hwy. Mixed seams about the same though.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the great pictures mmccurdy!! There is NO doubt that is the rack I am getting!! I can't wait!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Gobi is a SWEET rack ... my only problem is that I frequent Atlantic City and the parking garage I use is low already, my antenna hits the ceiling at times, I know it will not fit with this rack installed..
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueBruin
I have a gobi. its solid. very well built. only issue I had was there was something inside the tubes rolling around every time I turned. drove me nuts with the top off. Took it in and they put expandable foam in there which got rid of 90% of it. I would buy it again. Note however that a stock soft top is a PITA to put up or down with a rack on.. I sold mine and went with a trektop.
Where'd they squirt the foam? I have the same damn thing! Every time it rolls across, my wife looks at me in grins because she knows it's killing me...
Old 01-28-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

anyone have pics of how it tilts back to take the soft top on and off? looks very stout, and nice low profile too, I hate big bulky looking racks. the Gobi looks sweet.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Default Gobi Ranger Rack for 4 door Rubi

Does anyone know if Alpha Expedition is still running the sale which includes: free disconnects and ladder? I have not contacted them yet... thanks!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by 2XJEEP
Does anyone know if Alpha Expedition is still running the sale which includes: free disconnects and ladder? I have not contacted them yet... thanks!
David at Alpha Expedition would be the best person to tell you.

Quick Reply: Choosing a cargo rack - Gobi or Wild Boar