Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Code P0218 2009 Rubicon

Old 10-13-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code P0218 2009 Rubicon

I've got a 2009 Jeep Rubicon 4 door 3.8L Automatic trans, 4 speed transmission. Over the weekend going wheeling I received a alert on the dash saying I had high temp oil. I turned off the engine and it went away and cleared the dash alert. Today I broke out the scanner and said P0218 code. I looked it up and said it's high temp on the transmission. P0218 - High Temperature Operation Activated

Last edited by JK JK; 10-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Were you wheeling in 4 hi? That will cause the torque converter to generate a lot of heat.

Get the leak fixed, and the cooler installed. You should see some improvement.
As long as you stopped soon after the hot oil warning, you probably didn't do any damage. Plan to do a fluid/filter change sooner than normal, though.

Regarding the fluid level on the dip stick, here is a picture showing the proper level at various fluid temperatures. You can check the temp with a gauge that plugs into the OBDII port, most of the programmers, of with an infrared temp gun pointed at the transmission pan.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When the hot oil warning activates the instruction (from Jeep) is to idle the engine with trans in neutral until the light turns off. That way the hot fluid cools more quickly by circulating through the (underperforming) cooler system.

Judging from forum posts, the normal reaction by drivers is to shut off the engine.
That'd be my first thought (right after "oh, sh!t).

But that might be a bad thing because the circulation stops leaving the stationary fluid exposed to the overheated area even longer. Heat kills ATF.

I'd do at least one partial fluid change. You're probably due anyway.
If the ATF+4 is dark or smells burnt (compared to fresh ATF+4) the I'd repeat the drain and fill after allowing some driving to mix in the fresh fluid. Maybe repeat it a few times if the fluid is quite dark.

An auxiliary cooler is practically a necessity on this 3.8/42RLE combination.

Last edited by Jiblet; 10-14-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

To give you guys more background story. When I bought the Jeep it had 13,8k on it. Last year when I put on my trans skid it created a small seeping leak.

Today I talked with a co-worker (machanic). He said to drop the pan and change the filter and add 5q of chrysler ATF+4 fluid. I plan on adding the PSC cooler so when I cut the line going to the trans, it's coming front he torque converter. Turn the engine on to nautral and drain the Royal stuff out until it turns red front the new ATF. Stop the engine and add the PSC cooler in the line. Fill the transmission with fluid again until it hits the second cold mark on the dipstick. Drive the vehicle until it gets hot and check fluid levels. Any air in the system adding the cooler it will dissipate in the system.

Last edited by JK JK; 10-27-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JK JK
To give you guys more background story. When I bought the Jeep it had 13,8k on it. The previous owner replaced the trans fluid with royal purple. Last year when I put on my trans skid it created a small seeping leak. Today I talked with a co-worker (machanic). He said to drop the pan and change the filter and add 5q of chrysler ATF+4 fluid. I plan on adding the PSC cooler so when I cut the line going to the trans, it's coming front he torque converter. Turn the engine on to nautral and drain the Royal stuff out until it turns red front the new ATF. Stop the engine and add the PSC cooler in the line. Fill the transmission with fluid again until it hits the second cold mark on the dipstick. Drive the vehicle until it gets hot and check fluid levels. Any air in the system adding the cooler it will dissipate in the system.
I don't believe royal purple sells an ATF+4 product. Personally, I wouldn't want anything but an ATF+4 in the 42RLE.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I don't believe royal purple sells an ATF+4 product. Personally, I wouldn't want anything but an ATF+4 in the 42RLE.
I have no idea why someone would do that with such low mileage!!! I bought the factory AFT+4 from the dealership.

Well here is the link to Royal Purple Max ATF.

Max ATF | Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid | Royal Purple

Quick Reply: Code P0218 2009 Rubicon