Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Coil suggestion?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil suggestion?

Hi, have a 09 4dr JK with a few mods which weigh it down pretty good.... so much so that my 2" spacer lift on stock coils is now back to stock height and resting on my front bumpstops (lift bumpstops were installed).

My question is is that are the base X coils softer than the Rubicon coisl?

Also what coils can anyone suggest to get my 2 to 3 inch lift back and get my front axle off my stops and stop my rear tires from slapping on my flares when flexin?

Thanks for the input
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

OME HD coils.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the TF 2.5 coil lift great with your 35s and around 500. Hit up northridge for sure
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

I agree. 2.5 Teraflex on my 2011 Rubi with aftermarket front bumper and Warn 9000it winch. Plenty of room for 35's.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:44 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

in a situation like this, i might recommend going with the OME HD coils as well but, the teraflex coils are a good option as well.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:34 AM
JK Jedi

Both are great...but I went with the OME HD coils as I started with a 2" BB coil spacers and it sagged after bumpers and winch. OME has given me 3 full inches of lift with no sag after 6 months with this coil lift. Very happy!
Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Do not go with OME. I have installed them, ride is better then stock but they will not stay with 2 inch lift for long, also the respond for bumps is not perfect. I mean, they are ok, but if i had a chance i would go with something else. For sure OME shocks are rubbish. They do not behave equally, i mean, one day, when is hot and high humanity they are very stiff, another on the cold day they are smooth, some times i like them , but most of the time i hate them.
Is not only mine expirience.

Very important, after instaling only OME springs u will need to go with agliment or even with longer front lower arms. I had terrible expririence with handling on road and deth wobble until I have installed JKS. Now i would go with longer arms, on road comfort is very high,smooth ride... But JKS solved my problem and ride is much better then it was.

I moving now to ORE evo lever system, but is a different story.
I would try terraflex or may be rancho, but as i do not use them i can not recomend it.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:00 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

martin.kryjom - you realize that OME sells 11 different coils for the JK, right? Could it be that you got the wrong coils for your specific setup? And I'm guessing that all of the handling issues were 'height' related, not OME related. As you lift higher, the caster goes lower, and the axles shift to the sides. This is unavoidable and will happen with ANY lift. A little homework, or even spending 10 minutes reading the FAQ's, would give you a handle on the components needed/wanted for various lift heights.

-OME caused your death wobble? Nope. A poor install or faulty components caused it.
-You had to go with adj arms? Yep, low caster causes flighty handling. That is due to the lift height given by the coils you chose, and would have happened with the same height coils from any other mfg.
-Until you installed JKS? JKS what? Track bars? With the lift height, your axles were shifted off to the sides. Again, it happens with any lift from any mfg, and is not OME specific.
-Shock issues? I have never actually seen this reported before. Is it possible that you got a bad set? Or the ones you got are mis-matched to the coils you chose?

If you get your EVO setup, and don't adjust the caster and don't center the axles, guess what??

Anyway, sorry to hear about the problems you had, but OME really is not to blame. (with the possible exception of a bad set of shocks?) It was install and lack of having the proper components for the lift height...
Old 01-14-2011, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

HI
Yes u right, OME does not make DW, only high of the lift, i just sugested that in that lift it will be needed.
I have HD version, i do not remeber the number now, but is the strongest as i have RR bumper and bigest Warn winch.
Is hard to separate OME springs from OME shocks, i can just tell about how it behave as a set. Im sure that shocks are not great as they change responde due different air presure and temperature.May be OME springs with different shocks are great. I do not know. One day great, same day 4 h later horrible. May be OME is strong and great for rock clawers, but i drive most of the time on gravels , small rocks and sand, more like BAJA ride, so for that one and for road im not too much happy about that. BUT- IS MUCH BETTER THEN STOCK- is just much much better, but not perfect. I have driven JK with terra flex and i liked it better , but it was only once in my friends jeep so hard to say.

U are right, whatever is choosen, agliment is nessesery for comfort and to stay safe.
I do not have anything agains OME , just i wish to write more than just " go with OME". Im from Europe, Jeeps are hard to rebulid here, i do all myself, sometimes in good way , sometimes in bad, but i get expirience. I drive on the deserts of Africa and on the montains of Kosovo and Albania, different conclusions , a lot of expirience. I just share it with no hiden reason...

Last edited by martin.kryjom; 01-14-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Over 20,000 miles on my OME HD +2" springs and nitro shocks. Rides is firm but predictable and better than stock, no spring sag or shock leaks after 3 years of abuse. Most high speed pothole covered roads but some really maxed out flex in the local ORV parks as well. Evans Creek, Walker Valley,Elbe Hills, Naches, etc.

I have an ARB bull bar and 10,000lb winch up front and have not noticed any difference in ride quality between -20F to +120F.

I do reccomend longer brake lines with the +2" lift springs and alignment on 4x4's is a 10,000 mile thing stock or lifted.

ARB USA technical staff answers thier phone and gives useful advice to thier customers if you just call. They all wheel and own 4x4's, they do know thier stuff.

Quick Reply: Coil suggestion?