Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coilovers benefit or not?

Old 09-18-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers benefit or not?

I have a 3" teraflex lift with 35s and I was thinking of coilovers. however I have no idea what they are or the benefit to them and if they are added on to your lift or not. being this is a forum and im still new at this educate me. I love learning. Thanks guys cheers
Old 09-18-2015, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Coilovers are a shock and a spring in one unit. They are adjustable, rebuildable, and generally offer a better ride and better range of travel. They can be a pain in the butt to get set up right, you buy the coilovers, install them, do a bunch of math to figure out the correct springs, and then hope you were right and buy more springs because you probably werent (I did that 3 times). After you get them set up correctly they are night and day better than a coil spring and shock setup. Unless you are going really wild with your build, dont worry about them.

Also they are really expensive, a good set of front 2.0 coilovers is going to run you $1500-$2000 all said and done if you install them yourself.

Last edited by TweakJK; 09-18-2015 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TweakJK
Coilovers are a shock and a spring in one unit. They are adjustable, rebuildable, and generally offer a better ride and better range of travel. They can be a pain in the butt to get set up right, you buy the coilovers, install them, do a bunch of math to figure out the correct springs, and then hope you were right and buy more springs because you probably werent (I did that 3 times). After you get them set up correctly they are night and day better than a coil spring and shock setup. Unless you are going really wild with your build, dont worry about them.

Also they are really expensive, a good set of front 2.0 coilovers is going to run you $1500-$2000 all said and done if you install them yourself.
coils will give you a nicer ride. Once you have the coil overs jeeps without them can not keep up. I recommend calling Rebel, my kit works really great.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

My girlfriend has King coilovers with long arms. her ride kills mine. I'll be doing them next
Old 09-18-2015, 05:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone run them thru winters with salt on the roads? I heard they get destroyed and I like my jeep all thru winter as well
Old 09-18-2015, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Its all in how you take care of your jeep, if you don't wash it and run in the salt expect corrosion like any other shock. The greatest benefit of coil overs is the adjustability allowing you to dial them in for what you want. Properly maintained a coil over shock should last as long as your jeep.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Its all in how you take care of your jeep, if you don't wash it and run in the salt expect corrosion like any other shock. The greatest benefit of coil overs is the adjustability allowing you to dial them in for what you want. Properly maintained a coil over shock should last as long as your jeep.
Ok thanks ..... I get it oil sprayed KROWN every year as well plus reg wash in winters
Old 09-18-2015, 09:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
People very easily forget the importance of maintenance. A lot of times, parts manufacturers are scapegoats to lousy maintenance. Fully agree with TheDirtman
Old 09-19-2015, 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

I'm thinking that at $1500 - $2000 an end it is not going to happen all at once for most of us.

Due to the expense of coilovers:
Would it be 'better' to do the fronts first, or the backs?
What are the pros/cons of each?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Pricing will be determined on how you plan to mount them and if you can fab or not. Bolt on type will be more expensive cut to the mounts they use where if you can fab up the brackets and weld new mounts may save you $500+. Your choice of shocks will also make a difference as you can add several options like the res, compression adjusters, internal bypass, length, colors, and diameter of the shock. You can go to filthy motorsports and price out the shocks with options on their website so you can what you are going to pay there. I would recommend installing them on the front only simply because I don't like the stock mounting locations on the rear.

Quick Reply: Coilovers benefit or not?