Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold air intake

Old 08-31-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cold air intake

I recently put a cold air intake on my 2007 unlimited Sahara, while it did make a difference in power my gas milage went down between 1.5 and 2 miles per gallon.
Has anyone else seen a decrease in gas milage?
For now I have gone back to my OEM intake and the milage went back up. I talked with the company rep a Jeepfest 2008 in Ohio but he had no insight as to why the milage would drop.
Old 08-31-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Junkie

Metal Tube CAI?

A metal tubed CAI will absorb and conduct heat from the engine compartment. Less restrictive airflow, but warmer air. Kind of negates the purpose. The solution is to get some adhesive backed duct insulation and wrap it around the tube. The black polymer CAIs act as a heat dispersant and don't have the same issue.

Also, how many tanks full of fuel did you run before you took it off? The computer needs some time to adjust to the change and outside of winding it out on a half dozen freeway onramps, or changing your driving style it's going to take a little time. Additionally, sure you didn't get a heavier foot with your new found power? For me it's at least a couple tanks full of gas before I revert back to my normal driving habits.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is a metal tube intake - AFE
I ran several tanks of gas through it, approximately 3000 miles before I decided to put the OEM intake back on.
I have since reprogramed the computer with the Hyermax system and put a K&N intake filter in the OEM box. The milage stayed the same and more power was added, enough to where I do not need to shift out of 6th gear as much as before the mods.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Junkie

The metal tube is the exact same experience I had on my Dodge Ram. A neighbor with the exact same truck had used the black plastic AiRaid intake and I ran with a metal one. I didn't see the same type of mileage improvements he did, but certainly more power. After using the adhesive duct insulation, my mileage went up. Not exactly pretty, and why I chose the AiRaid for the Jeep.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JPop
The metal tube is the exact same experience I had on my Dodge Ram. A neighbor with the exact same truck had used the black plastic AiRaid intake and I ran with a metal one. I didn't see the same type of mileage improvements he did, but certainly more power. After using the adhesive duct insulation, my mileage went up. Not exactly pretty, and why I chose the AiRaid for the Jeep.
I would never have guessed a metal tube would have such an effect. ALmost went with one since they look cool. Luckily I went with the black plastic and love it. Additional HP and MPG.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

K&N has two CAIs for my truck. The metal one produces more than 20% less additional power than the plastic one. No idea about the economy differences outside of my own tests, which seemed to be worth a couple percent once I wrapped it in the duct insulation.
Old 08-31-2008, 07:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good info Jpop...thanks.

Quick Reply: Cold air intake