Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake

Old 08-12-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake

Which is a good Cold Air intake system to increase power for the JK Unlimited? I was looking at the Mopar Performance one but didn't state how much more HP it will put out. Anyone?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

None, just makes it sound more power, you floor it, it's loud, jeep still moves slow.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkjeep
None, just makes it sound more power, you floor it, it's loud, jeep still moves slow.
That's about 90% correct. When I installed my Airaid CAI it did seem to have more power for a couple days.....but then I was used to it and didn't notice. Still has the JK power flop at 2K RPMs.

No gas mileage difference either. It mainly looks cool and gives the exhaust a nice tone. For $250 I don't think I'd do it again. Just my $0.02

BTW, here's a pic of what it looks like. That is better than stock. But, not like I'm popping the hood of my JK to show off that awsome 3.8L minivan engine

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM
JK Newbie

I installed the Mopar Cold air intake...it did gain power but for me I lost 2 MPG ... I wouldn't spend the money for it again...I am still waiting though to get a programer to fine tune all my adjustments so we will see how it works after that happens other wise i may go back to the stock intake...i worry with the mopar being open it might get flooded when crossing water if not carefull
Old 08-12-2009, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt it provides any.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

i just put in the afe, im happy with it, exhaust sounds much better
Old 08-12-2009, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the True Flow I found it gave me a little more power good sound and gave me a 1-2 mpg increase. Would I spend the 300+ again I don't know.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM
JK Junkie

I have the S&B intake...Love the design & the fact that the filter is reusable...Slight power increase, but also have a programmer & Magnaflow exhaust to compliment it...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JKMan321
Which is a good Cold Air intake system to increase power for the JK Unlimited? I was looking at the Mopar Performance one but didn't state how much more HP it will put out. Anyone?

Proven gains are neglegable, since they really occur at high RPM where most of us never run on the street. In my experience with my Airaid it did definitely improve throttle reponse, and helped with the dead spot from about 1800-2000rpms. I am satisfied with that, as I didn't expect miracles. In conjuntion with a programmer and exhaust you will see the most benefit, but I'm running intake only. I didn't see any detectable fuel economy boost, others have though. I'm glad I had it for the Rockies though, Jeep seemed to do much better at high elevation than it did last time I was out there with the stock intake.

If I were to do it today I would go for the AFE drop in, but it wasn't available when I bought my Airaid, but for the $150 investment the Airaid was worth it IMO. Also, I can attest to it's good filtration, I ran over 100miles of trails and dirt roads recently (with an Outwears pre-filter) and the intake was clean, not a hint of dust from the white glove test.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKMan321

I recently got a K&N Cold Air Intake and have noticed some gains. The Specs for it says a gain by +10 Horsepower. But you have to get the Cold Air Intake, not just a regular intake. There is a difference. I got the cold air intake to boost throttle response while driving around the city. Its not going to turn your jeep into a nascar, but you can feel some difference in throttle reponse and it does give your exhaust a mean sound too. You'll get more out of it tho if you use a power commander and adjust that way too.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake