Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake- Best out there?

Old 04-07-2015, 06:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake- Best out there?

Looking at possibly buying a cold air intake system for my 2013 2 door. Looking out there and did not realize there was so many brands. What is the best bang for your buck. Is it actually wort it? I have aftermarket exhaust and eventually want to put headers on for the full effect. Suggestions please. Thanks
Old 04-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hermesgrafix
Looking at possibly buying a cold air intake system for my 2013 2 door. Looking out there and did not realize there was so many brands. What is the best bang for your buck. Is it actually wort it? I have aftermarket exhaust and eventually want to put headers on for the full effect. Suggestions please. Thanks
Quick answer first... With the 3.6l Pentastar engine you can't add headers, the exhaust manifold is cast into the head.

Cold Air Intake... There really isn't much in gains to be seen with any of them with the JK. AIRAID, AEM, and Volant are the best that I've seen so far. Keep in mind that a CAI opens up your intake to the possibility of water damage to your engine if you wheel in wet areas.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got a Banks CAI on my '13, very limited impact, barely noticeable. Haven't done anything on the exhaust side.

I felt my AFE (I think) CAI had a much bigger impact on my '07, was certainly noticeable.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best bang for your buck is keeping those bucks in your pocket... Waste of money.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SpicedCrusher
The best bang for your buck is keeping those bucks in your pocket... Waste of money.
And he's not BS'n either! I bought one and noticed nuttin! If I would not have thrown away my stock one, I would put it back on. Sent from the swamp while taggin' a gator!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an Airaid for my 08 JKU. The look under the hood looks better. I like the new sound from CAI. The throttle response seems to have increased a little. Had it for almost half a year now, I like it. The thought of hydrolocking my jeep is scary, but so far running through puddles with splashes that goes over the jeep, it's been fine.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I put the aFe stage 2 CAI on my 2014 JKU, and just as everyone else said, there really isn't any noticeable gains. It does look much, much better under the hood, and it sounds great when you step on it. Just gotta be careful around water with any CAI.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

AFE drop in filter is decent, I run the RIPP cold air for snorkels. There's a few other options for you.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

I'm selling an Injen CAI that I picked up from a guy who wrecked his 2015 JKU. I decided to use the money for some shocks instead. I didn't install it, but I'm very impressed with the quality, and particularly the Power-Flow air box. PM if interested.

It's been my experience that on a naturally aspirated vehicle, a well-designed intake tube and filter combo is good for 5-10rwhp and better throttle response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2768295150.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	605388
Old 04-08-2015, 03:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the K&N CAI on my '13 sport JK; the performance increase for me showed up as a MPG increase. I went from 20 mpg (hi-way) to 21.3. And it did maintain speed up hill a little easier. If I have any advice, it would be to stay away from the ones made of metal; they may look nicer, but they absorb heat more so than the plastic ones. That heat is transmitted into the incoming air charge, therefore defeating the purpose of cold air intake. If you eliminate the metal ones that should narrow the field a bit. Hope this helped some.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake- Best out there?