Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intakes

Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed an Afe Stage 2 intake. Fisrt impressions it's quicker throttle response, seems like a little more power and the indicated mileage is a bit higher. I will update after a little more use. The induction sound is definitely higher on hard acceleration it returns to normal when off throttle.

Merlinn
Old 10-17-2014, 02:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KVJK08
Very clean look! I want something with a nice aggressive grunt without an exhaust. What brand is that & how much?
That's a Volant intake. I'm running one on my 10. Compared to others they're pricey but the it's the highest quality out there. I never paid attention to mpg's but it definitely opens up the air coming in and improves throttle response. As far as water goes, I've seen my share of it. The filter gets soaked by so far so good. I would plug the bottom hole before doing any water but other than that you should be good. It will definitely get you the grunt your looking for.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by merlinn
I just installed an Afe Stage 2 intake. Fisrt impressions it's quicker throttle response, seems like a little more power and the indicated mileage is a bit higher. I will update after a little more use. The induction sound is definitely higher on hard acceleration it returns to normal when off throttle.

Merlinn
This. I have the same thing and I love it. Makes the engine ssound like a beast, and a little more power. Not much. Cai coupled with an exhaust really makes the jeep come alive sound wise. With a little extra HP.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How likely is it to hydrolock the engine? That was one of the reasons i second thought the intake.
I guess it would depend on how deep you intend to go. Or, how deep you ACCIDENTLY go.

Depending on what brand of "Cold" air intake you go with, there might not be any more risk than stock.

I am usually more of a critic on CAI than most people. It really makes me scratch my head at the JK owner that installs one of these things. The air is not any "colder" than stock, they allow more dirt into your engine, the risk of HL your engine is increased, and the "results" are negligible. Especially for the price.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
I guess it would depend on how deep you intend to go. Or, how deep you ACCIDENTLY go. Depending on what brand of "Cold" air intake you go with, there might not be any more risk than stock. I am usually more of a critic on CAI than most people. It really makes me scratch my head at the JK owner that installs one of these things. The air is not any "colder" than stock, they allow more dirt into your engine, the risk of HL your engine is increased, and the "results" are negligible. Especially for the price.
I bought my jeep used and it has a Gibson cai on it as well as a Gibson exhaust system.
I enjoy the sound it makes for sure. Cai is good enough that I have kept it. When I can afford I will spring for a snorkel, but for now the cai treats me well.

When doing water, go slow and steady. If you are in water up to your headlights I would imagine you will have a chance of hyrdo locking your factory box as well
Old 10-17-2014, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

x2 on the Volant CAI. I have one in my '13 JKUR and I like it. It sounds better than stock, I did notice a 1-2mpg increase and as long as you're cautious/smart in water you'll be fine. If I had bought the intake when my JK was new and am now sitting at 36,000mi, even with a 1mpg increase I would have saved roughly 130gal which works out to about $600 saved. That's going from 16mpg before CAI and 17mpg after. Seems worth it to me...
Old 10-17-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run the river raider air box put custom fittings into it with a K&N air filter. Made it completely waterproof. The onle way to intake water is with the top of the snorkel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1111024005.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	580251  
Old 10-17-2014, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

I had a banks Cold air intake and a banks monster cat back exhaust on my 08 Rubicon and i liked it. the CIA sounded good and the exhaust was not to loud. It made the 3.8 sound like it had some muscle and it felt like it had more power. I seen about 2mpg better with that set up. It sounded stock at idle and if you really wound it out it was noticable but not annoying.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ParaJeeper
x2 on the Volant CAI. I have one in my '13 JKUR and I like it. It sounds better than stock, I did notice a 1-2mpg increase and as long as you're cautious/smart in water you'll be fine. If I had bought the intake when my JK was new and am now sitting at 36,000mi, even with a 1mpg increase I would have saved roughly 130gal which works out to about $600 saved. That's going from 16mpg before CAI and 17mpg after. Seems worth it to me...
closer to $430. Which, the CAI & exhaust most likely cost about twice of $430. In short, you would have to drive roughly 72,000 miles to break close to even. Two questions. How many miles on the rig when the system was put on? And, will you drive it for 72k more miles after the system was put on. Next, all this is based on $3.25/gal. If you did this and gas cost less in your area, it will take longer to offset the initial cost. If it cost more, a little less. But hey, ultimately, if you feel it's a good option, go for it.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anybody running a CAI? I was thinking about getting one for my 08 JKU. Any recommendations, pros, and cons about a CAI? - i love to drive through big puddles. Will it be a problem?
One pro is for Volant - if you opt for the Donaldson filter, it filters better than stock.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intakes