Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Com bolts/Caster bolt, Am I screwed?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Cams will do the job, as they allow you to adjust the caster for a small range. (Maybe 2-3 degrees?). Since they are already installed, you can just run them until you have an issue. Or if you want to push it, make the dealership remove them, weld up the holes, and you can buy the adjustables.
IF I can make the insurance company pay for the adjustable CA... which will be a challenge

To bad that I didn't know about the adjustable CA before I bought the small lift...
Fixing the Cam bolts issue on my own expense will not be cheep
Old 06-01-2011, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, so I have phone again to the dealer, and they try to explain me that they just installed a "longer camber bolts" not Cam Bolts, and that they didn't drill anything in the Rig, just got a longer bolts to a accommodate the pitch...

Anyone? is that make sense?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

You got me there, I am not sure.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.R.X-D
OK, so I have phone again to the dealer, and they try to explain me that they just installed a "longer camber bolts" not Cam Bolts, and that they didn't drill anything in the Rig, just got a longer bolts to a accommodate the pitch...

Anyone? is that make sense?
Umm, no such thing on a jk, unless they mean adj ball joints which will allow for camber and even some castor adjustment.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Did they say to what they are referring to when they say "pitch"? As far as I know, pitch, as it apples to front end alignments, is a term used in a general sense to describe the attitude of any number of suspension and driveline components.

Your best bet is to have them walk you through it when you pick it up.

Don't worry about it too much, take some pictures when you get the jeep back and post them on the forum. Someone way more knowledgable than me ay be able o help you out.

I'm afraid the only thing I succeeded at was making you worry more.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Be skeptical of the dealership.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah that all sounds fishy. Is check to see if they even installed new bolts. Longer bolts won't do a damn thing.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Update:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0045.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	170947

Name:	Image0044.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	170945

Name:	Image0047.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	170946

As you can see... the dealership did installed cam bolts....

Is there any way that I can weld the cam bolts washers so that it will NEVER move!?

Last edited by A.R.X-D; 06-11-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

You could draw a line across the head of the cam bolt and the control arm bracket to mark where the cam bolts belong. They are prone to move which will throw off the caster settings. This way if they move you can just loosen them up and reset and retorque them to the proper position. The best way to be to totally emliniate the cam bolts byt adding thick washers on both sides of the control arm mount bracket, and pick up a set of adj upper control arms, and leave the stock lowers in place with the washer fix.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why are you so worried about cam bolts. Millions of vehicles leave the factory with them and never have any issues. If they become an issue(which I doubt they will) just pull the bolts out and put a regular bolt in with a washer on both sides then weld the washer to the control arm mount making a regular hole again.

Last edited by spedly; 06-12-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Com bolts/Caster bolt, Am I screwed?