Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fan Control

Old 09-13-2016, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Control

I just want my cooling fan to turn on at lower temps. JKUR 2012 Auto

I have tried two different programmers and neither worked.

I know my radiator and fan are capable of cooling the engine, a lower thermostat isn't the answer. 99.5% of the time the engine temp is fine and when it does start to get around the 230* the fan usually kicks on low and it will bring it down. On occasion, and just recently the factory gauge went to 3/4, the high speed kicked on and it quickly came down to half.

I don't ever want to see the gauge go above 1/2 (slightly past half was 230*) and absolutely never at 3/4 (whatever temp that is).

I don't know if this means replacing the stock fan with a Flex-A-Lite fan or a Flex-A-Lite controller. Is there a way to manipulate a sensor so it thinks the engine is a few degrees hotter?

This has been plaguing me for a year now.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Newbie

I was having this same problem over the summer. I live in the mountains and when going up longer hills in just 90 degree temperatures it consistently was creeping past half, worse if the ac was on. I have a superchips tuner and set the fan to come on early. It took me a while to find this option. Instead of quick tune I went to advance tune or something along those lines. It then gave the option for fan temp settings.
NOTE: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE COOLING SYSTEM IS WORKING PROPERLY AND THERE IS NOT AN ACTUAL PROBLEM.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

A friend of mine modified his Jeep to place a screen inside of the grill to mitigate possible damage from rocks during our Alaska-Canada trip. After that he noticed that his Jeep was running much noisier. Turned out to be the grill mod was reducing air flow (it was a commercial product) enough to force his Jeep fan into high speed mode most of the time.

I introduced him to Torque Pro so he could actually monitor his engine temperature instead of that excuse for a gauge on the dash (he also has a '12, BTW). After that he removed the offending grill mod and replaced it with a fine screen, and he started monitoring his Jeep engine temp. He wanted to compare it to mine, but that was of little use since I have a 3.8. So I rode with another friend in his '12 and my Torque Pro and what we saw in a test drive of a dozen or so miles was the temperature consistently in the high teens, low twenties, and once reached briefly into the thirties. IOW, we saw pretty much what everyone who owns a 3.6 JK experiences.

Anyway, during the entire Alaska/Canada trip, over 10,000 miles he monitored, worried and commented on his engine temperature continually (using a Nexus 7 table and Torque Pro). And it was sometimes going above 230°. He incessantly worried about it. He never had a problem before the initial grill mod because he never monitored the exact temperature; just trusted that silly gauge. Therefore, without a baseline to determine what the proper temperature was, and the Jeep never reporting an overheat condition, he was just winging it.

The 3.6s run hot. That is the way the engineers designed it.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-14-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
A friend of mine modified his Jeep to place a screen inside of the grill to mitigate possible damage from rocks during our Alaska-Canada trip. After that he noticed that his Jeep was running much noisier. Turned out to be the grill mod was reducing air flow (it was a commercial product) enough to force his Jeep fan into high speed mode most of the time.
I just did this mod to my Jeep a week ago! I didn't buy a screen I made my own using metal gutter guards. I was wondering if it would create a problem but I've seen a lot of people do the same thing so I assumed not. How would I know if it was reducing air flow? My Jeep is already louder than normal because I just removed the carpets.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

The 3.6s run hot. That is the way the engineers designed it.
I wonder if it's because the exhaust "manifolds" are not external. Otherwise, running on the road should supply enough air to keep the engine at thermostat temperature.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-14-2016 at 05:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Control