Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cooper Discoverer S/T???

Old 09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
I have had mine for almost a year. Still tons of tread (10k miles on them), no real noticable wear at all.

I also live in the mountains, no flat or straight roads here. Granted most of them are paved. But I have driven on paved, gravel, dirt, and ice/snow (LOTS of snow). These tires have probably been one of the best tires I have ever run, period. They have yet to do what I wanted them too.

They WILL pick up rocks on gravel roads. But thats because of the tread layout.

Also, I think you will want the S/T-C. Its designed for use on gravel, and has a special chip resistant compound. The compound is a little harder, so it doesnt have quite as much grip, but I think it will be better for your area with lots of gravel roads.
are they good on asphalt as in blacktop?, and how do they hang around corners compared to stock tires?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiconEurope
are they good on asphalt as in blacktop?, and how do they hang around corners compared to stock tires?
They will wear faster than a tire designed for the street. However, I have no had any real issues with them cupping yet. I think the fact that the outer lugs are split helps there. This is my daily driver, so the tires see a lot of pavement. So far they have worn very well. I can easily get another year out of them. I typically change tires when I hit 25% tread, just because I can't afford to be caught with bald tires when I need them most. I am expecting to get 30k "mountain miles" out of them. Which I consider to be quite good. I have had other mud and offroad tires wear out in 10-15k miles up here. Heck, the TSL's on my J10 have about 8k on them, and are at less than 50% tread.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
They will wear faster than a tire designed for the street. However, I have no had any real issues with them cupping yet. I think the fact that the outer lugs are split helps there. This is my daily driver, so the tires see a lot of pavement. So far they have worn very well. I can easily get another year out of them. I typically change tires when I hit 25% tread, just because I can't afford to be caught with bald tires when I need them most. I am expecting to get 30k "mountain miles" out of them. Which I consider to be quite good. I have had other mud and offroad tires wear out in 10-15k miles up here. Heck, the TSL's on my J10 have about 8k on them, and are at less than 50% tread.
last question I have is how has steering input and feel changed after these?, comparison to your stock ones.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RubiconEurope
last question I have is how has steering input and feel changed after these?, comparison to your stock ones.
Well, these are wider. So not exactly an apples to apples comparison. But, the feeling got a bit more firm. Which I kind of prefer. With the stock tires the steering filt too light for my liking.

But when going into corners and such, the tires don't feel like they are rolling under or anything. The sidewalls feel like they hold in place well. About on par with must LT rated tires.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM
JK Junkie

Actually, the post was about the Cooper S/T, not the STT.

Quick Reply: Cooper Discoverer S/T???