Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Couple questions about stock rims and lift and tire size.

Old 10-05-2014, 09:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple questions about stock rims and lift and tire size.

HI
I have couple questions about tire size. I have 2013 jk sahara putting 3 inch lift and 1 inch body lift on it. It comes with the stock 18 inch rims.
Can I put a 37x12 wheel on that rim or is that to much ? What would be the max tire size for the stock rim ? If I end up having to change rims whats best size rim to go with a 15 16 17 ? It seems like 18x37 cost more than a 15x37.
thank for any input.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 PM
JK Freak

Personally I keep it rule to try and NOT go more than 20" larger in tire than the size of the rim. If you plan to go 37's then 17 or 18 is fine and buying all new wheels is not cheaper than buying 37's for your 18 inch rims, however if you are planning on buying new rims then you need to decide how big on the tire side you plan to go in the future. If its only 37's then go with a 17" rim but if it is 40's then I would suggest a 20" rim, especially if you are doing a lot of street driving. If it is only slow speed stuff then buy whatever the heck you want.
Old 10-05-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Personally I keep it rule to try and NOT go more than 20" larger in tire than the size of the rim. If you plan to go 37's then 17 or 18 is fine and buying all new wheels is not cheaper than buying 37's for your 18 inch rims, however if you are planning on buying new rims then you need to decide how big on the tire side you plan to go in the future. If its only 37's then go with a 17" rim but if it is 40's then I would suggest a 20" rim, especially if you are doing a lot of street driving. If it is only slow speed stuff then buy whatever the heck you want.
Hi
Thank you for your reply and info I appreciate it. I only buy new rims if I cant fit 12.5 37 on my stock rims. Its just street ride hate to say it but it will never really see any off road. Its my wifes,she wont be bashing it out through the bush
Old 10-05-2014, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

You can fit them tires on the stock wheels.
Old 10-05-2014, 11:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Read the two threads stuck right to the top of this modified area. - Thoughts on Lifts and FAQs. Among other things, get a handle on what backspace/offset does.

Yes, you can run a wider tire on stock rims, many people do. But, as you might see in either of those two threads, you will need less backspace to clear a 37" tire. Assuming that the backspace on stock rims is around 6.25", and you run the standard 1.5" wheel spacers (spidertrax type), that brings you to an effective backspace of 4.75". How does that number look compared to the recommendation for 37" tires in those threads? How wide of a spacer would you need?

Plan on new rims.
Or, as you can see in D3DLY's sig, he went with new rims + spacers.
And there is also the option of adding washers to the steer stops, but I'd just go with the correct backspace and keep the turning radius.

A few thoughts on rim size:
15" rims can have clearance issues with the brake calipers.
Both 15's and 16's can have clearance issues with brake upgrade kits. (like the teraflex big brake kit)
Both 15's and 16's can have clearance issues with with many of the aftermarket steering components. (due to bigger TRE's).
Tire mfg's are moving away from these sizes, so the selection is much more limited than with 17" rims, and will only get worse in the future.

So, my suggestion is to go with 17" rims and try for an effective backspace (either rims or rims + spacers) of around ... whatever those two threads suggest.

Last edited by nthinuf; 10-06-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:10 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Read the two threads stuck right to the top of this modified area. - Thoughts on Lifts and FAQs. Among other things, get a handle on what backspace/offset does.

Yes, you can run a wider tire on stock rims, many people do. But, as you might see in either of those two threads, you will need less backspace to clear a 37" tire. Assuming that the backspace on stock rims is around 6.25", and you run the standard 1.5" wheel spacers (spidertrax type), that brings you to an effective backspace of 4.75". How does that number look compared to the recommendation for 37" tires in those threads? How wide of a spacer would you need?

Plan on new rims.
Or, as you can see in D3DLY's sig, he went with new rims + spacers.
And there is also the option of adding washers to the steer stops, but I'd just go with the correct backspace and keep the turning radius.

A few thoughts on rim size:
15" rims can have clearance issues with the brake calipers.
Both 15's and 16's can have clearance issues with brake upgrade kits. (like the teraflex big brake kit)
Both 15's and 16's can have clearance issues with with many of the aftermarket steering components. (due to bigger TRE's).
Tire mfg's are moving away from these sizes, so the selection is much more limited than with 17" rims, and will only get worse in the future.

So, my suggestion is to go with 17" rims and try for an effective backspace (either rims or rims + spacers) of around ... whatever those two threads suggest.
Thank you for your help Im findign all kinds of good info on this site
Old 10-08-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Iv got 37x12.50s on my factory '14 rubicon wheel
Old 10-08-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Havent heard many people using body lifts on JK s. Whats the reason to use one?
Old 10-08-2014, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

A couple of things from a fellow Sahara owner for you to keep in mind:

1. Front axle and C's will certainly need to be reinforced especially if you go larger than a 35" tire even for just mall crawling. I would recommend C gussets and sleeves at minimum, trussing would be better with the C's. Minimum C's with 35's for the street and def add sleeves or truss for off roading.

2. You may need to consider things like drive shafts and gears as to not upset the geometry of the drive train and blow out your rear end and get those tires going off a dead stop or up a hill. You may also want to give some serious consideration to a hand held tuner to help reclaim some lost power and mileage.

3. You can fit 37" tires on your factory rims, but you will need 1.5" wheel spacers at minimum and that should help you clear a 12.5 wide tire no problem with maybe a touch of rubbing in the front air dam at full lock. Anything wider than 13" I would probably want to run a wheel with a proper, more aggressive offset.

If I could offer my personal suggestion, why not go with a 2.5" suspension lift, no need to worry about drive shafts and angles etc... flat fenders and 37's, truss and gusset your front dana 30 and do the body lift if you want. I'm pretty sure that would look killer and keep you in the "safe zone" for suspension lifting and still give you the clearance you need for offraod with the relability you need for everyday on and off road. Just my 2 cents.

The higher up you go, the more $$$ and the more headaches to worry about.

Last edited by GiggityGiggity; 10-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRockJeeper
Personally I keep it rule to try and NOT go more than 20" larger in tire than the size of the rim.
I hear you, brother. For me it 18" max because I read an article by a tire expert stating that any more than 9" of sidewall can get squirrelly during evasive maneuvers at highway speeds and I drive mine on the highway. I have had two instances of having to do such maneuvers in the last few years and would hate to flip or wreck because I had too much meat and not enough bone on the pavement.

Quick Reply: Couple questions about stock rims and lift and tire size.