Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cross mounted shock.... thing...?

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross mounted shock.... thing...?

I've noticed many rigs, particularly ones running larger tires, are running what appears to be a shock mounted sideways across the front axel on what looks like the steering cross member.

Questions:
1. What is this called so I can stop calling it a "thing"?
2. What is it for?
3. How would one know if they need one?

-T
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steering Stablizer.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Very good question to ask all us jeepers and anything u need to know u can find here....

It is a steering stabilizer, which is mounted on ur jeep just like u saw it. It softens ur steering when ur vehicle hits bumps. When we put larger tires on our jeeps we upgrade to a larger or stronger stabilizer to help because the bigger tires are harder on ur steering when u hit those same bumps....Hope that helps just trying to explain it as simple as I can and yes it is a shock lol....
Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Sweet.

Searched the forum for Steering Stabilizer after Ronin's reply and found a lot of threads about stock vs aftermarket, but nothing that really said what it's purpose was or what it is supposed to correct.

Thanks for the help.

-T
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM
JK Freak

Also when you go with a high enough lift from everything that i have learned it should be flipped correcting the geometry up front and keeping the stabilizer from rubbing or binding when suspension is being flexed
Old 04-23-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Yeah I figured you would jsut search the topic but your next question is where it will get crazy. Your going to get to hear two different thoughts on the steering stabilzer. Some people say "you need them to help with bump steer" and others will say that "if your suspension is set up correctly you don't need it". My suggestion is to do your own research and determine for yourself. People seem to be very passionate about steering stabilizers and their purpose...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:50 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by holmes4x4
Also when you go with a high enough lift from everything that i have learned it should be flipped correcting the geometry up front and keeping the stabilizer from rubbing or binding when suspension is being flexed
The only reason to flip or relocate is to keep it out of the rocks.

Quick Reply: cross mounted shock.... thing...?