Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cummins 4bt conversions

Old 01-26-2013, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out diesel toys conversions too. They have some good information that you might want to consider about the 4bt swap vs. the 2.8l vm motor that the rest of the world has stock in the jeeps.

If my engine blows from my supercharger then ill be looking at the 2.8l or 3l if someone can figure out how to put the 3l vm motor in the wrangler.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw the videos. Although I hardly ever get off pavement anymore, I can see the benefits of the torque. BUT, that is the loudest,stinkiest P.O.S. I have ever seen.

A few hours in that thing will have your ears ringing and you will be lite-headed from the exhaust fumes.
Modern gasoline engines are quiet,fuel efficient,and environmentally friendly. I just don't see the point.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

14 Companies That Specialize In Diesel Conversions - Four Wheeler Magazine Check out this article
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by familytime
Thanks man. That article was really cool. Tons of info and sort of an eye opener too. Since I have the older 3.8 gas motor ill only be getting around 15 mpg so a diesel swap would be lovely. And for god sakes how awesome is a diesel jeep.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
JK Newbie

I think Dieseltoys would be interested in doing the 3.0L diesel if there are more interested. The wiring should be similar to the 2.8L, just the fitment would be something they would have to CAD out. A big issue would be finding a donor engine with harness and ECU. They source their 2.8L TDI's from Europe so they would need to find wrecked 3.0's. I would definately be interested in the 3.0 conversion as well. There is alot more torque and power for towing and trail blazing.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

I contacted Dieseltoys to see if they had any interest in the 3.0 conversion and Todd from their Tech department said their answer in a nutshell was "No". There are issues with the software being more advanced and harder to work on, the cat system being integral to the engine running, the lack of preformance and reliability history, and the overall layout of the engine not mounting in the bay. According to Todd they use factory overseas JK diesel engines from wrecked JK's from Austrailia. Sooooo I guess its the MASSIVE iron block of a 4BT or the CRC Diesel as the most fuel efficient and readily available swaps.

Quick Reply: Cummins 4bt conversions