Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint Question

Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CV Joint Question

I have an 09 2 door Wrangler. I started getting a clicking under the Jeep that seems to be coordinated with the speed. Shop looked at it today and said I need new CV joints. I have a 2.5" Teraflex spacer lift with 285/75/17's. He said it didnt appear lift related (angle), just normal wear as I just turned 100K. The back of the driveshaft has the play but he said need to change both front and rear CV joints. He didnt have time to do it today, but I made an appt for next week. How do I know you need to change both if only the rear has play? Also - is the Teraflex high angle CV joint what I should go with? Dont want to pay more than I have to ask the tax man is coming due!

Thanks
Old 02-16-2018, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

There are two areas you need to check on your factory shafts. One is the CV as noted but the other is the blue Teflon on the splines. If the CV is bad then TF has you covered. I replaced both ends of my rear ds with the TF kit to avoid getting into adjustable control arm territory. The Teflon is another story. To cure that play I found a low mile takeoff and paid $50 for it. The TF kit isn't bad to install, just a little tedious. You need all of the grease, it's a sloppy mess, and using Loctite will make/ break your install.

I'd get it back from the shop and find a takeoff shaft. If your factory shaft has lasted this long then there's no reason to spend the extra money for the TF or even a full aftermarket shaft unless you have plans on going bigger and wheeling crazy harder. When the Teflon fails on my current shaft, I can easily remove the TF ends and move them to another shaft.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. Shop has decided theyre not 100% positive that the cv joint is where the noise is coming from. Think im going to have to wait until something breaks and clearly identifies what the problem is. Two shops havent found it. Gotta love Jeeps!

Quick Reply: CV Joint Question