Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

CV and U-Joint Grease Type

Old 05-03-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV and U-Joint Grease Type

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a new pair of driveshafts (Tatton). I had planned on greasing them today; but, I don't know what type of grease to use.

I have some Moly-Graphite grease that I purchased recently; but, I have read that it isn't a good idea to mix different grease types.

Not knowing what Tatton used, I don't want to screw things up. (The grease coming from the driveshafts is almost a semi-transparent redish colored grease.)

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jeff
Old 05-03-2009, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the red stuff in my grease gun. I'm sorry I don't know the name but everyplace from autozone and pep boys to even ace hardware carry it. It's supposedly a little more waterproof and a little more heat resistant than regular grease gun stuff, but take that for what you will.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about the mixing of different types of grease, but I am cheap i get mine at walmart. They sell a high grade marine grease (extremley water resistant) that has always worked well for me. I have never had a part fail due to lack of lubrication using it.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

For years I've used Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease which is cheap and available everywhere.

From the Lucas Oil website:

Lucas Red 'N' Tack Grease is a smooth, tacky, red lithium 12-OH grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors. It has good water resistance and washout properties. It has excellent mechanical stability and storage life. It is able to withstand heavy loads for extended periods of time. It can be used in many agricultural, automotive, and industrial applications. Lucas Red 'N' Tacky Grease is fortified with a high degree of extreme pressure additives that give it a TRUE Timken load much higher than other greases of this type. Its especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears.

Key Benefits
Rust and oxidation inhibitors
Water resistant
Excellent mechanical stability
Long storage life
Agricultural, automotive, and industrial applications

Quick Reply: CV and U-Joint Grease Type