JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   D- or E- load rated Duratracs? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/d-e-load-rated-duratracs-259077/)

jk_sea 01-02-2013 07:45 AM

D- or E- load rated Duratracs?

I think the ply rating is the difference between 6-ply and 10-ply, or maybe it's 12-ply, but I'm looking at getting 33x12.5 Duratracs and I'm second guessing going with the more road-worthy D-rating versus a heavier duty E-rated tire.

I understand that the ride quality diminishes as the tire sidewalls get more robust. I didn't buy my Jeep to ride like a Cadillac to begin with, so I'm not sure if I could care about the difference in ride quality. Does it really suck with heavier tires? I don't have anything to compare it to.

My biggest fear is getting out on a trail and goofing up a sidewall and trashing a $270 tire when I've got the option now to spend $6 more per tire or whatever it is to get a tire with a beefed up sidewall that would hopefully not suffer light damage in offroad conditions.

Thoughts?

rvator 01-02-2013 08:02 AM

A lot of e rated tires don't flex as good aired down.

JK-Ford 01-02-2013 08:22 AM

How much trail use do you expect to see? Is your Jeep a daily driver? I've had "E's" on mine since the day it was delivered. So I purchased E-Rated Duras when I replaced my tires too. Since my Jeep see's mostly highway miles, I wish I would have purchased D's. Or maybe even C's.

PS: The ride is rough. But not to rough. But those tires are heavy when compared to the C's.

Wandell 01-02-2013 08:54 AM

I agree. I think you will be better off with D's.

OhhSeven 01-02-2013 12:20 PM

I run D rated 315/70R17 duratrac's. I've had them on rocks, mud, snow, ice, hard pack, etc. doing what I would consider moderate wheeling and have not had any issues with strength. I would only go with an E rated tire if I needed it for weight capacity like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I can air down these tires to 12-15lbs. and still get a decent foot print. I think you'd have to air down an E rated tire much more and risk popping beads. That's my two cents.

demtek9 01-02-2013 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by OhhSeven (Post 3362385)
I run D rated 315/70R17 duratrac's. I've had them on rocks, mud, snow, ice, hard pack, etc. doing what I would consider moderate wheeling and have not had any issues with strength. I would only go with an E rated tire if I needed it for weight capacity like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I can air down these tires to 12-15lbs. and still get a decent foot print. I think you'd have to air down an E rated tire much more and risk popping beads. That's my two cents.

Mine is only available as an E (Fierce Attitue MT) and I wished it was a D. The Fierce is a Duratrac hull. It's managable, but harsher than stock.

MeMongo 01-02-2013 12:34 PM

Unless your towing a gooseneck with your Jeep no need for 10ply/E

kssting 01-02-2013 02:51 PM

Because of the rocks that we typically see on the trails here in Utah my personal opinion is that running an E tire is good insurance. I have Duratracs that are E and they are much softer than the Nitto's that I had that were E rated so the type/brand of tire does make a difference.

Maertz 01-02-2013 03:03 PM

E rated! Ive seen some posts that show sticks and stuff goin thri the mtrs with kevlar and rather be safe.. But no personal experience ive had no issues with mt e rated tires but the stock muds took a severe beating...

jacksup 01-02-2013 04:19 PM

Have E rate on my rig wish i would have got D much better for weight of jeep side note had to replace tire w torn side wall E did not make any differance in my case good luck