Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

D- or E- load rated Duratracs?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default D- or E- load rated Duratracs?

I think the ply rating is the difference between 6-ply and 10-ply, or maybe it's 12-ply, but I'm looking at getting 33x12.5 Duratracs and I'm second guessing going with the more road-worthy D-rating versus a heavier duty E-rated tire.

I understand that the ride quality diminishes as the tire sidewalls get more robust. I didn't buy my Jeep to ride like a Cadillac to begin with, so I'm not sure if I could care about the difference in ride quality. Does it really suck with heavier tires? I don't have anything to compare it to.

My biggest fear is getting out on a trail and goofing up a sidewall and trashing a $270 tire when I've got the option now to spend $6 more per tire or whatever it is to get a tire with a beefed up sidewall that would hopefully not suffer light damage in offroad conditions.

Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of e rated tires don't flex as good aired down.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much trail use do you expect to see? Is your Jeep a daily driver? I've had "E's" on mine since the day it was delivered. So I purchased E-Rated Duras when I replaced my tires too. Since my Jeep see's mostly highway miles, I wish I would have purchased D's. Or maybe even C's.

PS: The ride is rough. But not to rough. But those tires are heavy when compared to the C's.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree. I think you will be better off with D's.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run D rated 315/70R17 duratrac's. I've had them on rocks, mud, snow, ice, hard pack, etc. doing what I would consider moderate wheeling and have not had any issues with strength. I would only go with an E rated tire if I needed it for weight capacity like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I can air down these tires to 12-15lbs. and still get a decent foot print. I think you'd have to air down an E rated tire much more and risk popping beads. That's my two cents.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OhhSeven
I run D rated 315/70R17 duratrac's. I've had them on rocks, mud, snow, ice, hard pack, etc. doing what I would consider moderate wheeling and have not had any issues with strength. I would only go with an E rated tire if I needed it for weight capacity like a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. I can air down these tires to 12-15lbs. and still get a decent foot print. I think you'd have to air down an E rated tire much more and risk popping beads. That's my two cents.
Mine is only available as an E (Fierce Attitue MT) and I wished it was a D. The Fierce is a Duratrac hull. It's managable, but harsher than stock.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless your towing a gooseneck with your Jeep no need for 10ply/E
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Because of the rocks that we typically see on the trails here in Utah my personal opinion is that running an E tire is good insurance. I have Duratracs that are E and they are much softer than the Nitto's that I had that were E rated so the type/brand of tire does make a difference.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

E rated! Ive seen some posts that show sticks and stuff goin thri the mtrs with kevlar and rather be safe.. But no personal experience ive had no issues with mt e rated tires but the stock muds took a severe beating...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Have E rate on my rig wish i would have got D much better for weight of jeep side note had to replace tire w torn side wall E did not make any differance in my case good luck

Quick Reply: D- or E- load rated Duratracs?