Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

D1 status, help me decide on tires, Nitto M grapplers, PC Xterrains and MT baja claws

Old 07-11-2007, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D1 status, help me decide on tires, Nitto M grapplers, PC Xterrains and MT baja claws

Yikes, I thought I had a few more months to think about it but in less then 2 weeks my '08 Sahara unlimited is already in D1 status so it's time to start ordering the fun stuff. I'm going to go with a 3" FT ultimate lift and gas shocks but not sure which ones yet (maybe M-force or Bilstein or OME) comments are welcome.

What I'm really trying to decide upon is the tires. Without a doubt the best looking to me are the Nitto Mud grapplers but I"ve heard they are noisy. Second choice would probably be the Procomp Xterrains followed by the MT baja claws. The only thing I've used in the past were goodyear MTR's and BFG MT's and AT's and they were all fine and not too loud but I'd like a non generic tread pattern.

You could call it a poser jeep if you want since I won't be doing heavy off roading or mudding but the reality is that this will be a daily driver around town (non highways) and then get on the sand quite a bit since I live on the beach and am developing 25 acres of ocean front here in Mexico. So I realize these aren't designed for street but I like the aggressive look. I don't mind some hum but I don't want it to be annoying when we go for sunset drives along the beach (yea I know that sounds real tough to you hardcore jeepers .) I had pretty much decided upon the xterrains after reading that the grapplers were really noisy and that people loved the xterrains but now I'm reading some mixed reviews on the xterrains so it has me second guessing.

I plan on going 35" and would love 13.5 for the sand but most only come 12.50 in the 15-16" wheels. The Nittos do have a 14.5 in the 16" which would be great in the sand but is that extra 2" going to kill on road performance and gas mileage? I'd like to see a photo of 35x14.50x16 to see if they'd look too wide. I'm open to other tires but they all seem to have that generic tread pattern.

Thanks and sorry this was so long!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Based upon all the feedback I guess I'll stick with my original plan with the Xterrains.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by red7
Based upon all the feedback I guess I'll stick with my original plan with the Xterrains.
I would skipp the Xterrains and get the Xtreme MT's.

xterrains suck in the winter and rain...

My Xtremes did great in the sand!
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 PM
JK Super Freak

FWIW I love the XTerrains. I have had no problems with them in the rain, and we have had plenty of it here lately. I have no clue about the winter though. I have been in a variety of terrain and conditions (rocks, mud, loose gravel, etc. in both dry and wet conditions) and they have performed well.

Here's a review on the XTerrains

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...p_Xterrain.htm

Review by same people on the Mud Grapplers

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...d_Grappler.htm

Again by the same people on the Baja Claws.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...law-Radial.htm
Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
JK Super Freak

BTW I would guess you will get your 08 somewhere around the end of August, 1st part of September.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
FWIW I love the XTerrains. I have had no problems with them in the rain, and we have had plenty of it here lately. I have no clue about the winter though. I have been in a variety of terrain and conditions (rocks, mud, loose gravel, etc. in both dry and wet conditions) and they have performed well.

Here's a review on the XTerrains

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...p_Xterrain.htm

Review by same people on the Mud Grapplers

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...d_Grappler.htm

Again by the same people on the Baja Claws.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...law-Radial.htm
I should say I'm not speaking from experience with them. Its what I have been told by fellow jeepers who have ran both for competition and street driving....
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yikes, I thought I had a few more months to think about it but in less then 2 weeks my '08 Sahara unlimited is already in D1 status
Congrats!
So I realize these aren't designed for street but I like the aggressive look. I don't mind some hum but I don't want it to be annoying when we go for sunset drives along the beach (yea I know that sounds real tough to you hardcore jeepers .)
most any tire will not hum on the beach!
I know that was absolutly less then no help at all, but come on it's 4am and I'm here for some reason, so what kind of help could I give but bad, with a run on sentence that would have got me beat in second grade, those nuns were tough!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRockJK
BTW I would guess you will get your 08 somewhere around the end of August, 1st part of September.

That would still be way better than the October date I was originally quoted.

Thanks for those links. I think I'm going to go with xterrains. Any suggestions on the cheapest place to buy them?

Quick Reply: D1 status, help me decide on tires, Nitto M grapplers, PC Xterrains and MT baja claws