Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Daily Driver and Rock Crawling

Old 04-28-2007, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your jeep has a "Trail Rated' Badge on it right? If so, it is good to go for the 'con.That is where they test to se if they are trail rated right?:confused:

just kidding folks , I am in a similar situation wih mine (once it comes in). Though I don't plan on running it through the Rubicon for now, I don't think I will be able to hold off too long on starting to build it. My wife is going to drive it for a couple years because I cannot stomach going out and beating a new vehicle on the trail, that is what I have my TJ for. The plan is to replace the TJ with the new jeep as my trail rig when we are ready for a new car in two years.....I don't really want to start building it because my wife drives a lot and she is looking at going back to school which is a lot of driving. If I was building it for a dd and the 'con I would do this......I might anyway!

1. 4 inch lift of choice (do it right the first time with replacement upper and lower arms)
2. 33 inch tires of choice Toyos, MT/R's or maybe BFG MT's if you aren't wheeling all the time( the side walls are thin) I may go this route(33") and replace them with 35-37's once it isn't a dd.
3. You could regear or not but I would go with the 4.88's
4. Rockers, and bumpers I am leaning towards the Shochworks for the bumper, and I liked their rockers but I am looking for the beveled looking ones that I saw in the EJS pics.
5. Air cleaner and exhaust to off set the lower gearing and probably get you back to original mileage ( plus I would hate to crush that 50gal drum of a muffler (it reminds me of the gas tank on my tj with no skid)
6. As mentioned before, a full cage. I had one put in my TJ before I ran the Rubicon...I have kids to live for!.

I ran behind a few of the engineers and a bunch of media this summer on the Rubicon. The jk was amazing but they were Rubicons. It was obvious that they were factory owned because they were just beating them like they stole them. The worst I saw was a flare or three getting ripped off and a tire come off the bead. The bumpers took a beating too. Dave Yegge in the original AEV TJ Unlimited had a bent tie rod which luckily I had a replacement for or I may have waited in line for hours while they coptered one in. Funny thing was....Yegge was wearing a Currie T-shirt. My brother asked him where his currie steering was!
Old 04-28-2007, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did the 2.5" tereflex with some steelies and 35's for off road and swap out to the stock tires for daily driving.

This maintains stock ride, roughly the same milage and no need to regear. When we go wheeling I just slap on the bigger tires. There is a noticeable difference with the 35's and I'd want to regear if they were left on all th time. Since ours is a Sahara we don't have the 4:1 TC and I really wish we did, the crawl ratio is just to fast for some obsticles.

Over all I think this is a good comprimise though for a DD that will still do good on the trails, maintain decent milage and not break the bank doing it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default Atlas II 5.0 or 6.0

First let me say I have the same idea as you. I will be looking into an Atlas II either 5.0 or 6.0. It costs $ 2499 direct from the manufactor. Don't by from a vendor selling them unless you are also having them install it. You would be just giving them more money for the same item.

I did some numbers. If you currently have 32 inch tires and are going to 35s you would need to change out your gears from 3.21 to 3.55. I'm thinking of going to 3.91 or maybe 4.1. I might loose a little mpg but not much. The gears will really depend on what type of locker I will be getting.

I also have the service manual coming in. I want to look and see if this is something I can actually do.

I did call a company in California, they stated the install was very simple. Plug and Play.

I'm going to wait and do this next year. I still need it lifted (3 inch teraflex) and the 35s. I still have about 30,000 miles to wear out the stock tires. I do that type of mileage in about 1 year.

Good luck.

I currently am planning my trip back to Red Cone Colorado this summer. I currently live in Arizona.

Originally Posted by wipeout
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will take another look at what I really need. =Wipeout

Quick Reply: Daily Driver and Rock Crawling