Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 30 Mod

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dana 30 Mod

My 2008 Sahara has the original Dana 30 axle. My question is if I install gussets and sleeves will it be strong enough to off road it with 35 inch tire without the worry of it bending or breaking? How would this differential perform if I installed those items plus gears and a locker? I'm not an extreme off roader but I do off road moderately. No serious rock climbing, just mainly trails, sand and some moderate hills. The terrain I usually frequent is near silver wood lake called cleghorn. Any idea or advice will help!😁
Old 02-03-2013, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Gussets and sleeves will make the housing plenty strong.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Sleeves and gussets will beef up the housing plenty for 35's. When regearing your risk will be blowing your teeth.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKbender
Sleeves and gussets will beef up the housing plenty for 35's. When regearing your risk will be blowing your teeth.
This comment could be accurate (busting the teeth of the gears) if you are wild and crazy. It seems the way you are intending to wheel, gusseting the inner knuckle and sleeving it should be just fine. I have the same 30, sleeved and gusseted. I have 35 MTZ's and 488 gears and wheel on many black diamond trails out here in the southland, and never have had an issue. There are those who may say, "It's a matter of time before you break something", but I don't subscribe to this. If you wheel with caution, it will last quite a while. Go for it.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive been wheeling on a stock 30 for 3 years. No problems.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JKbender
The risk is there even with the stock gears due to the size of the r&p
Old 02-04-2013, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running 35's on my 30 and wheeling once a month with no issues yet. Pick your lines carefully, use common sense and easy on the skinny pedal.

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Mod