Dana 30 Project Axle - Page 2 - JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dana 30 Project Axle

Reply

 
 
 
Old 08-04-2017, 03:13 PM
  #11  
JK Junkie
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 3,147
Thanked 112 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Seizer View Post
Definitely Resharp I intend on getting the quick disconnects. I don't know all the Jeeper acronyms yet what is TR, TB, and DL(DriveLine)???


Ahh man I saw it on the Teraflex user review. Derp a derp. Sorry about that now I might send them back and get Dynatracs. I should have read the sales insert to realize they were not rebuildable.
Sorry Chris, TB = track bar, TR = tie rod, adn DL = drag link. Also, if you ordered Teraflex ball joints, there's nothing wrong with those. Those are probably perfect for you actually. For what it looks like your use might end up being, $500 ball joints are going to be way overkill. Don't start thinking that a $200+ BJ is bad or anything. We all have different builds, different uses, different budgets, and different experiences. I have Dynatracs and I like them. I wheel pretty hard and I have my reasons why I ended up on Dynatracs, but if you were just asking for BJ advice and explaned your use....as I'm starting to see, I'd suggest more along the lines of TF ball joints. Realistically, you shouldn't need to worry about those again for a long time. Also, even though the Dynatrac BJs are rebuildable......take a look at the cost of the rebuild kits . Sorry Dynatrac......I recommend you guys when appropriate!

To expand on some forum abbreviations, MC = Metalcloak, RK = Rock Krawler, RE = Rubicon Express, RC = Rough Country, TF = Teraflex
resharp001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 PM
  #12  
Sponsoring Manufacturer
 
Dynatrac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Huntington Beach, CA
Posts: 1,134
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
Sorry Chris, TB = track bar, TR = tie rod, adn DL = drag link. Also, if you ordered Teraflex ball joints, there's nothing wrong with those. Those are probably perfect for you actually. For what it looks like your use might end up being, $500 ball joints are going to be way overkill. Don't start thinking that a $200+ BJ is bad or anything. We all have different builds, different uses, different budgets, and different experiences. I have Dynatracs and I like them. I wheel pretty hard and I have my reasons why I ended up on Dynatracs, but if you were just asking for BJ advice and explaned your use....as I'm starting to see, I'd suggest more along the lines of TF ball joints. Realistically, you shouldn't need to worry about those again for a long time. Also, even though the Dynatrac BJs are rebuildable......take a look at the cost of the rebuild kits . Sorry Dynatrac......I recommend you guys when appropriate!

To expand on some forum abbreviations, MC = Metalcloak, RK = Rock Krawler, RE = Rubicon Express, RC = Rough Country, TF = Teraflex
Thanks for installing Dynatrac heavy duty ball joints on your Jeep, and were happy, though not surprised, that you've had such a good experience with them. It's customers like you who we design and build are parts for, people who want to enjoy off-roading and their vehicles without having the distraction of wondering if something will break as they climb the next obstacle, or leave them stranded on the side of the trail.

On the cost of the rebuild kits, when was the last time you bought one? We recently lowered the cost of our rebuild kits for the JKs to $129 dollars. Compared to the cost of buying a second set of aftermarket ball joints, along with the cost of having them pressed out and back in to the knuckle, the new rebuild kit cost means Dynatrac ball joints pay for themselves after only one or two rebuilds, if ever necessary. As we're sure you know, ball joint lifespan/wear has no set or regular interval. It all depends on the usage, specs of the particular Jeep, and driving style of the owner.

That being said, even for someone who is not going to be wheeling hard at this time, if a Jeep owner can afford to install the best parts available, why shouldn't he? It never hurts to have a set of ball joints that are more than one might possibly need, but it can hurt to have a set of ball joints that are just enough. And, if an owner decides he wants to up his off-roading game and push his limits more, the parts giving him the capability to do so are already installed and capable of handling it.
Dynatrac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:59 PM
  #13  
Super Moderator
 
Ryan0260's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hendersonville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,621
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I highly recommend the Dynatrac HD ball joints. The build quality is top notch, and being rebuildable makes for a very good investment. Absolutely no complaints with mine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170804_185024.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	673884  
Ryan0260 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:59 PM
  #14  
JK Junkie
 
resharp001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Willow Park, TX
Posts: 3,147
Thanked 112 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
On the cost of the rebuild kits, when was the last time you bought one? We recently lowered the cost of our rebuild kits for the JKs to $129 dollars.
You've not had to hear from me yet! Although I'm only 2 years in, as much as I like you, I hope it's a long time coming!

Originally Posted by Dynatrac View Post
Compared to the cost of buying a second set of aftermarket ball joints, along with the cost of having them pressed out and back in to the knuckle, the new rebuild kit cost means Dynatrac ball joints pay for themselves after only one or two rebuilds, if ever necessary.
I would probably put that more at 3 rebuilds....but only cuz I'd like to think that MOST people here are doing their own work rather than paying for labor on jobs like this ($500 up front and roughly $260 per rebuild vs. $250 for a complete set of mid-line BJs).....otherwise they'd likely not be tye type to be here....but I digress. By no means am I downtalking Dynatrac, cuz yo da snizzle! I just know that for most of us budget strapped joes, there are so many things to think about in regards to a build.....and someone with a stock or fairly stock vehicle has so many things to keep in mind that they often don't have the luxury of committing a large part of what is typically a skinny budget, to ball joints....which let's face it....really isn't very sexy .

I'd also give Dynatrac customer service an A+. I have asked questions before and have gotten very timely responses that were more than satisfactory.

Maybe it's time that Dynatrac sponsor me a couple ProRock 60s!
resharp001 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:58 PM
  #15  
JK Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Seizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 124
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by resharp001 View Post
Maybe it's time that Dynatrac sponsor me a couple ProRock 60s!
Woah woah woah... Me first Resharp. This was my thread! Besides they could test them out on a stock 2D.
Seizer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:36 AM
  #16  
JK Freak
 
larry0071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

For the terrain your talking about, Colorado mining roads and daily driver use... the stock axle was fine. That is not terrain that warrants upgrading axles. Even with 37" tires on a D30 your pretty well set with stock/factory D30.

Until you start leaving the typical Colorado mining roads left over from 100 years ago that are commonly traveled by Jeeps, trucks, Subarus cars and the occasional Chevy Cobalt (Yes, I was in 4-Lo on a Colorado mining road and I come across a young couple in a Cobalt way the F up a Colorado mining road and above the tree line! It really made me feel silly!) and start going rock crawling or driving hooligan style... your stock axle was plenty. All of your upgrades are because you convinced yourself that you needed them, not because you actually needed them. Sleeves are a total joke, so just forget that. Those are for people not capable of getting A) A truss. or B)An aftermarket axle housing.... and they really do next to nothing. Adding ID to a pipe does not do well when calculating area moment of inertia (bending forces). Adding to the OD does, but again... you never needed it. You ball joints were fine unless they wore out. Your axle housing and C's are fine. Your shafts and gears are fine. Move on. When/if you decide to start playing foolishly (I do this, and I get a hoot out of it) you'll need to start upgrading.
larry0071 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 AM
  #17  
JK Super Freak
 
Monte417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Meadow, NY
Posts: 1,431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
For the terrain your talking about, Colorado mining roads and daily driver use... the stock axle was fine. That is not terrain that warrants upgrading axles. Even with 37" tires on a D30 your pretty well set with stock/factory D30. Until you start leaving the typical Colorado mining roads left over from 100 years ago that are commonly traveled by Jeeps, trucks, Subarus cars and the occasional Chevy Cobalt (Yes, I was in 4-Lo on a Colorado mining road and I come across a young couple in a Cobalt way the F up a Colorado mining road and above the tree line! It really made me feel silly!) and start going rock crawling or driving hooligan style... your stock axle was plenty. All of your upgrades are because you convinced yourself that you needed them, not because you actually needed them. Sleeves are a total joke, so just forget that. Those are for people not capable of getting A) A truss. or B)An aftermarket axle housing.... and they really do next to nothing. Adding ID to a pipe does not do well when calculating area moment of inertia (bending forces). Adding to the OD does, but again... you never needed it. You ball joints were fine unless they wore out. Your axle housing and C's are fine. Your shafts and gears are fine. Move on. When/if you decide to start playing foolishly (I do this, and I get a hoot out of it) you'll need to start upgrading.
You going this weekend? I saw your jeep out there a few times
Monte417 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:14 AM
  #18  
JK Freak
 
larry0071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Monte417 View Post
You going this weekend? I saw your jeep out there a few times
If asking about Colorado? No I am in PA currently.

Rausch Creek... A group of us will be there the Sept 8/9 weekend.
Next weekend, Doe Valley Off Road.
Phoenix Off-Road for sure the next open weekend that Jeeps are allowed.
Colorado is once a year, so not going to be out in the MOAB Utah / Ouray/Telluride Colorado area again until late July 2018.
larry0071 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:23 AM
  #19  
JK Super Freak
 
Monte417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: East Meadow, NY
Posts: 1,431
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
If asking about Colorado? No I am in PA currently. Rausch Creek... A group of us will be there the Sept 8/9 weekend. Next weekend, Doe Valley Off Road. Phoenix Off-Road for sure the next open weekend that Jeeps are allowed. Colorado is once a year, so not going to be out in the MOAB Utah / Ouray/Telluride Colorado area again until late July 2018.
Talking about rausch. Going this be a shit show but still fun and for a good cause. Make it a point to go to this event every year
Monte417 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:49 AM
  #20  
JK Freak
 
larry0071's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 780
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I stay away from the TAT, far to many Jeepers that clog up the place and ruin my ability to have fun. We usually have picked out certain reds that we want to hit, so we will green as fast as we can to the blacks/reds, then do the thing we want and get back out and green it to the next black/red as quick as we can. We typically run a group of 5-8 Jeeps that all have been running RC together for a few years, we all meet Thursday night at the Comfort Inn, wheel Friday/Saturday, take off Sunday morning for home. It's about a 5.5 hour drive for me to get there, so I try and make the trip worth it by hitting all of the nastiest things they have. I love that place. If your a black/red kind of guy, your welcome to join us in Sept.
larry0071 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Quick Reply: Dana 30 Project Axle


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: