Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dana60 hub/bearing regreasing

Old 10-10-2014, 05:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default dana60 hub/bearing regreasing

Hi,

So I have a prorock60 front with dynaloc hubs. I would like to disassemble the hub,bearings,etc to check for wear and replace if necessary and repack the bearings,seals,etc. I have never done this before but am mechanically inclined and perform all my maintenance and service. Only thing I don't touch is engine internals,transmissions, and diff setup. Just looking for any advice someone may have for a first timer tackling this job.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given how few people run them and how expensive the hubs are, I'd strongly recommend calling Dynatrac and asking them. Sort of a no-brainer.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have the Dynatrac Prorock 60 in the rear, but Dynatrac was absolutely useless when I contacted them with a couple of really basic questions regarding replacing the fluid in the diff

The guy had a piss poor attitude and they have no documentation regarding the maintenance

matthew
Old 10-11-2014, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
I only have the Dynatrac Prorock 60 in the rear, but Dynatrac was absolutely useless when I contacted them with a couple of really basic questions regarding replacing the fluid in the diff

The guy had a piss poor attitude and they have no documentation regarding the maintenance

matthew
That's a bummer to hear. Sorry.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Matthewd5

matthew
You called dynatrac to ask them how to change your diff fluid?
Old 10-12-2014, 06:52 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I bet he called on what type of gear oil to use. They don't specify but it really comes down to the locker you choose.

As far as the OP's question taking apart a locking hub is no big deal and is relatively simple to do. I have warns and it is only removing the small bolts that hold on the cover and a retaing ring.
If you do a simple bing search you will find exploded views and instuctions on how to take the hubs apart.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I bet he called on what type of gear oil to use. They don't specify but it really comes down to the locker you choose.

As far as the OP's question taking apart a locking hub is no big deal and is relatively simple to do. I have warns and it is only removing the small bolts that hold on the cover and a retaing ring.
If you do a simple bing search you will find exploded views and instuctions on how to take the hubs apart.
Thanks,I found a write-up but wasn't sure if it was as simple as it looks and also called dynatrac and they gave me a few tips. As for dynatrac service I have called them many times and have had great service each time. Do you recall who you have talked to? I always get rob in tech support or Steve in sales.

You can also find the axle fill procedure here http://www.dynatrac.com/faq.html
Old 10-12-2014, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JE8154

You called dynatrac to ask them how to change your diff fluid?
He called regarding correct amount of gear oil to put in..
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
He called regarding correct amount of gear oil to put in..
No, there are two fill holes and different people give very different answers from just pour it all into the top, others half top half down or all in the lower...

My local guy has installed hundreds of axles with lockers and he had the question
Old 10-19-2014, 07:01 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JKJB
Thanks,I found a write-up but wasn't sure if it was as simple as it looks and also called dynatrac and they gave me a few tips. As for dynatrac service I have called them many times and have had great service each time. Do you recall who you have talked to? I always get rob in tech support or Steve in sales. You can also find the axle fill procedure here http://www.dynatrac.com/faq.html
Thanks for the link, that's more than the jerk off at Dynatrac did!

Matthew

Quick Reply: dana60 hub/bearing regreasing