Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dangerous Steering Problems

Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dangerous Steering Problems

Hello All!

My name is Jr. ere is a quick description of my Jeep..
215 Unlimited Sport w/ 20k miles
AEV 2.5" Suspension Lift Kit
35x12.50R17LT Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar (28psi)
TeraFlex Ball Joints

The issue I'm having occurs when making sharp left turns r left hand u-turns. It also occurs when reversing with the steering wheel turned left. It has never happened making a right turn.

So the problem is some kind of binding when I turn. This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, I am restricted from turning the wheel fully and the wheel starts to pull hard to the right. The steering becomes very stiff and the wheels kind of hops like it would in 4wd(no it is not in 4wd). In order to correct it, I need to turn the wheel straight and move forward. A few times I have heard a POP and it was fixed. I've looked at the suspension components, but can't find anything out of the ordinary. I do not feel comfortable driving this car especially when turning. I've been in the middle of the intersection making a turn when this has happened and couldn't correct it and end up making a wider turn than I wanted.

I have gotten an alignment which didn't help. The dealer basically said there was nothing wrong with the car and referred me to an aftermarket shop. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you look underneath to see if it is binding on the swaybar links or anything else? Also a couple of pictures from underneath will make it easier for someone to see anything. Look at the rear of the left and the front of the right tire

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Ill get as many pictures as I can tonight. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I suggest checking your steering stabilizer for binding.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:05 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I suggest checking your steering stabilizer for binding.
That was my first thought as well.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard since the ears of the axleshaft on the newer jks are bigger that teraflex balljoints rub on them.
Is there any correlation between when this started and when you installed them?
Old 09-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Check the steering stabilizer. This happened to mine recently. Power steering wins.

Not sure if it's the same problem but it sounds similar.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1514797194.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	657179  
Old 09-20-2016, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree it sounds like a stabilizer issue. Also maybe the tie rod adjuster is hanging up on something as you turn. I believe that AEV kit comes with swaybar link brackets maybe see if they were not installed correctly and are somehow hitting the tie rod. You really need to just have someone start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock while you look under the front end. If that shows nothing then...

check your ujoints caps and the axle shaft ears they sit inside.

If all that looks ok then it's time to look inside the differential. Maybe something with the spider gears? (When you turn the spider gears allow the inside and outside tires to move at different speeds.)

Last edited by Biginboca; 09-20-2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

One time one end of the stock stabilizer came loose and somehow got fully extended.... Was driving and my steering wheel wouldn't turn anymore to the left. Luckily I just pulled over and took it off. Ran without it for about 6 months then put it back on.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

check your track bar. both ends. best way to do this is have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while parked. Watch the track bar. A bad end will sometimes cause binding when turning only one direction.

Quick Reply: Dangerous Steering Problems