Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

death wobble?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death wobble?

Ok what causes this death wobble? I am about to put 2.5 rough country with 2.2 shocks on a 2010 4 door. I will be putting 33/12.5/17 pro comp extreme MT tires with pro comp 17/9 wheels. So will I need to worry about this death wobble and what causes it?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well...from what I read many different factors cause it. I recently put a 4" Teraflex lift on and now I get the death wobble. I didn't take it in for an alignment yet...ill see if that fixes the problem. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was only going to do the shocks n springs. It will not be going off road but my girlfriend will drive it occasionally and if death wobble happens, from what I heard she may have a heart attack if she is driving it. So will I need to add anything else to make sure it wont happen. Thanks
Old 03-24-2011, 02:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I'm not sure what the rough country directions say but be sure to loosen your front track bar bolts when you start. Then once the lift is installed, jump on your front bumper a few times and torque the bolts down to 125lbs.

If you want to do it right the first time, a Teraflex or JKS front adjustable track bar would be a good investment.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd
I'm not sure what the rough country directions say but be sure to loosen your front track bar bolts when you start. Then once the lift is installed, jump on your front bumper a few times and torque the bolts down to 125lbs.

If you want to do it right the first time, a Teraflex or JKS front adjustable track bar would be a good investment.
I just installed they 4" lift, Im biggest fear was getting DW. So I take my time, and double check everything. If u do it right the first time u won't get DW. The jump up and down on the bumper worked
out well for me. BUT remember DO NOT torque anything intll all the wheel are on the ground. Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tracker
Ok what causes this death wobble? I am about to put 2.5 rough country with 2.2 shocks on a 2010 4 door. I will be putting 33/12.5/17 pro comp extreme MT tires with pro comp 17/9 wheels. So will I need to worry about this death wobble and what causes it?
If you put it on correctly, you should not have an issue. The biggest issue is making sure you torque all of your steering components correctly after you lift your rig.

On my 2.5" kit, I experienced no DW or even wheel shake. On my 3" Long Arm, I had full on DW, but it was cleared up by retorqueing everything and mounting the steering stabilized correctly.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is my first time putting on a lift so correct me if I'm wrong but the only steering component I will touch is the draglink to adjust steering wheel? I keep hearing so much about track bar, control arms,sway bars but my directions don't mention anything about touching any of that. Only to remove shocks n springs and replace new ones then adjust draglink when its on the ground. Please let me know if there is more to it? Thanks?
Old 03-25-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

Installed TF 2.5 coil lift with adjustable front trackbar. Purchased 35" Goodyear MTR with ATX Artillery rims from Tirerack. Had an alignment and tires balanced after lift, got the DW right away. Cause was primarily unbalanced tires. Found that it pays to take it to someone used to dealing with bigger tires...took 3 tries to come to that conclusion. The DW is pretty scary...good thing my wife wasn't driving.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Saharaunlmtd

x2 on this. Also loosen your front control arms before you "jump on the bumper". Then re torque everything back down. You should be good to go.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

There was no doubt what my jeep had was DW. When your steering wheel is oscillating back and forth and it feels like you have no lug nuts on your front rims and they are about to come off and only by stopping do you make it stop...would say that is deathwobble. No doubt was brought on by my unbalanced tires....I might have had other items putting me on the edge and the unbalanced tires took me over...but after getting them balance and doing nothing else....no more DW.

Quick Reply: death wobble?