Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dEaTh WoBbLe??? /// BB questions

Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dEaTh WoBbLe??? /// BB questions

So has anyone experienced the death wobble with upgrading to 18/59 MOPAR coils and a 2 inch BB. I got approx. 3 inches of lift. I havent had any problems yet but Im wondering if anyone has experienced any with this sort of "lift."

Also, do you reccommend adjusting/ lowering the transfer case or make any other mods with this amount of lift?

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Transfer Case is fine as is. If you are running and auto tranny keep an eye on the front driveshaft, you are getting close to where it will have issues with the pan. If your a 2dr you are getting close to where some people have had rear drive shaft issues.

The whole death wobble thing is hit and miss. I have haerd of stock ones doing it with no mods. I have not seen this and can not verify this. Mine has 3.5" (true 4.3)of lift and I have had no death wobble issues. I am ignorant of what an 18/59 spring is however I am guessing it is a rubi takeoff or something similar. To my knowlege you can use pretty much any factory spring and it will change very little unless you put 4dr springs on a 2dr which will lift you but also make the ride a bit abusive to your body.

I wouldn't start hunting for problems that you don't have truly. If you have no issues and it drives fine, keep on Jeepin. If you develop something later on, I would guess you have something getting worn.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on what Stokeherace said about death wobble hitting just about any jeep set up.

If you do run into problems there is a thread out there on a checklist of items to look for to try to eliminate death wobble. It seems the biggest culprit is a loose front trackbar.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjones616
So has anyone experienced the death wobble with upgrading to 18/59 MOPAR coils and a 2 inch BB. I got approx. 3 inches of lift. I havent had any problems yet but Im wondering if anyone has experienced any with this sort of "lift."
death wobble isn't something that comes with lifting your jeep but rather, is a problem associated with loose, worn out or failing components. death wobble can happen on a stock jeep.

Also, do you reccommend adjusting/ lowering the transfer case or make any other mods with this amount of lift?
lowering the transfer case was a cheap fix people did on old TJ's and YJ's as they came with slip yokes and the increased drive shaft angles would cause vibrations. the JK comes with a fixed flange and cv joint so you will not have this problem and will not need to lower the transfer case.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

I have your exact set-up but on a ribicon 2dr. I used terraflex spacers,front monster track bar, rear axle track bar bracket, bump stop extensions and stock mopar rear track bar links in the front. I also used rough country shock extensions for a temporary fix. I have had no issues with death wobble but the steering was kind of flighty feeling. I lengthened the front lower control arms by 3/8 of an inch to gain some caster back.

BTW the 4 dr rubi I took the springs off had the 18 in the passenger's side and a 17 in the driver's. I think this was done to counter the lean from the extra weight of the fuel tank. In any case, it sits level side-to-side.

I spoke to one person that has/had death wobble (he runs a bb) and it seems there is no reason why he would have it and I would not. We will be removing his front axle for gusseting and sleeving soon and we will inspect his track bar mounts and other front end components for wear.

Quick Reply: dEaTh WoBbLe??? /// BB questions