Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble / Caster correlation?

Old 08-27-2010, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
You almost certainly have a bound/pre-loaded frame side trackbar bushing and a less than 125 lbs torqued axle side bolt.

The combination is likely the source of the DW.

The dealer should not cover it under warranty because it was caused by improper installation and maintenance of after market parts.

It is easy to fix. Remove the trackbar so you can inspect the bushings and bolt holes. If the axle side bracket holes are ovaled out, any shop can weld washers to the bracket to fix it.

You should inspect your other front end components to make sure they were not also damaged by the DW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Drove this morning and sure enough - DW when I hit a bump while going about 75...ugh! Gonna loosen everything tomorrow, rock it, and retorque it all back down. Will also check the ball joints as well. Hopefully that will cure it.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

I'm 35 miles from the house so I gotta drive home...will be taking it easy...its only happened when I'm over 70 mph.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Death Wobble video. This TJ was at a dealer that my friend works at. They had a hard time figuring it out. Alignment was OK, Tires balanced Ok, no worn parts. Turns out the Steering Stabilizer was failing. The oil in the stabilizer would foam and the oscillation just got out of hand due to the Jeeps aggressive toe in, and straight axle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GupYHM1pCcY
Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason1707
No I dont - how do I measure it?
You take your Jeep to an alignment shop, that's how. Or you can rely on a $6 angle finder from the hardware store. I prefer the the former myself (a shop's machine is accurate to the hundredth of a degree).

I'm in total agreement with planman. Low caster is not the root cause of DW. Never has been, won't be anytime soon.

I've carefully installed every front end component on my rig and now run less than 3 degrees caster w/my new coils. My Jeep steers more quickly than it did stock, but is in no way is evil handling. Plus, I have a healthy pinion angle and zero vibration (which can lead to costly headaches).
Old 08-27-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

anyone have any pictures of good vs bad bushings? When I pulled the track bar off Wednesday the holes looked good, in fact the bolts were actually tight to get in and out. I appreciate all the help guys.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

9 out of 10 times, these "death wobble" threads are a steering wheel shimmy.

9 and a 1/2 times out of 10 it is a tire balancing issue.

If there was a issue with the Jeep, you would not make it to 75 mph.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:21 AM
JK Newbie

The DW in the video is caused by loose or worn components. There is no way that it was caused by a failing steering stabilizer. A steering stabilizer is simply a mask. It will not tighten loose bolts or fix ovaled out bolt holes.

The dealership techs are incompetent if they could not find the source.

The new steering stabilizer will eventually fail because it will not be able to continue to mask the source. The source will get progressively worse and worse until there is a catastrophic failure--like the axle side trackbar bracket welds breaking off.

The dealer tech needed to remove and inspect the bushings and bolt holes for the trackbar, trackbar brackets, and front lower control arms and brackets. He needed to inspect the ball joints, drag link joints, and tie rod end joints. He needed to have someone cycle the steering with the tires on the ground while he manually, visually, and auditorily inspected all the front end components for the source. This requires more than an alignment and "looking for worn parts."

The next owner of that TJ will end up with catastrophic failures at some point.
We have to replace the stabilizers on our sportbikes every few years, not masking any problems there. The oil just gets dirty and foams. Replace it or risk a "Tank-slapper", so they do fail without other problems.

I'm sure there is more to the TJ wobble than that. Judging by the Used window sticker in the video, I'm not sure he cared. Make it stop doing that I'm sure his boss said. If you ever wonered whats behind a dealership... thats it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Strutssound
We have to replace the stabilizers on our sportbikes every few years, not masking any problems there. The oil just gets dirty and foams. Replace it or risk a "Tank-slapper", so they do fail without other problems.

I'm sure there is more to the TJ wobble than that. Judging by the Used window sticker in the video, I'm not sure he cared. Make it stop doing that I'm sure his boss said. If you ever wonered whats behind a dealership... thats it.
If your bikes are experiencing "tank slappers" (a real death wobble) You need some geometry changes in the rake, trail, and suspension area. Tires can also play part in a wobble on a bike.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Biff Malibu
If your bikes are experiencing "tank slappers" (a real death wobble) You need some geometry changes in the rake, trail, and suspension area. Tires can also play part in a wobble on a bike.
In my case "Tire Slip" or "Floating" the front tire. I have been racing 1000cc for a few years, on the injured list right now. And yes... the REAL death wobble.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

The way to check them is to run a large screw driver through the bolt hole sleeve in the bushing.

Then leverage the sleeve from side to side and back and forth to inspect for cracks in the bushing material or separation of the sleeve from the bushing material.

The easy way to remove or install the trackbar bolts is to have a helper slowly cycle the steering while you pull out or insert the axle side trackbar bolt--assuming the frame side bolt has already been installed but left untorqued.
Well I talked to the 4WD store here in Houston and they'll put it on the rack and inspect it for $45 - said its normally $90 but since I'm making an appointment they'll do it for $45. Said if their techs cannot find the problem then there is no charge. So I'm just gonna go there in the a.m. - would rather pay experienced techs $45 who know what to look for and can hopefully find the root of the problem asap. Will keep posted of findings.

Quick Reply: Death Wobble / Caster correlation?