Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble for the First Time

Old 09-16-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death Wobble for the First Time

So driving into work just now, I hit a bump while turning at a light and the steering wheel starting shaking like crazy. The whole Jeep also was shaking. I pulled over. When I started going again, it was gone. I can only imagine this being death wobble. This is the first time I have experienced it with my Jeep. It has a Teraflex 2.5" BB. I just put Rough Country Quick Disconnects on, and also just got brand new 35's on last week. It had 35's on when I purchased it, they just needed to be replaced so the tire size is nothing new to this Jeep. So what are your thoughts? Why the death wobble all of a sudden? Do I have to worry about it coming back?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would definitely keep an eye on it. The only self correcting wobble causing thing I can think of is something stuck on the tire/wheel that has fallen off.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snw_brdr10
So driving into work just now, I hit a bump while turning at a light and the steering wheel starting shaking like crazy. The whole Jeep also was shaking. I pulled over. When I started going again, it was gone. I can only imagine this being death wobble. This is the first time I have experienced it with my Jeep. It has a Teraflex 2.5" BB. I just put Rough Country Quick Disconnects on, and also just got brand new 35's on last week. It had 35's on when I purchased it, they just needed to be replaced so the tire size is nothing new to this Jeep. So what are your thoughts? Why the death wobble all of a sudden? Do I have to worry about it coming back?
Yep that's DW....99% track bar related. Have someone vigorously turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch both ends of the trac bar mounts.
Most likely too much play causing the axle to shimmy.

Bolts are either loose or egged out the mount holes.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 09-16-2014, 08:03 AM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, all stock non over sized tires.. thou extra weight in the back, unbalanced tires, America's rough roads and just plan hitting those bumps at the right angle and the right speed cause our wobble.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Default Aren't we getting sick of DW yet?!

I have been battling this for a long time and have not found a solution. Two dealers have looked into it. I just replaced the trackbar with a massive metal cloak one - no improvement. I have replaced all the bolts with the synergy kit. Everything has been checked and double checked (please don't point me to planman again).

If I cross a certain set of railroad tracks over 40 MPH I get violent death wobble.

Mine has a Mopar 2 inch lift (installed by dealer when I bought it).

Here's the kicker - I bought it new, it is a 2010, and it only has 8K miles on it because nobody wants to drive it.

The last dealer said they don't do the Mopar lift, but instead only offer AEV, and that I should consider swapping out the Mopar for the AEV lift. But they make no guarantees it will resolve the issue!

Long story short, I love my Jeep, but am leery of ever doing a lift again. I think I am going to trade it in to the dealer and by a new JK as there really is nothing like it (no doors and no top!). Does that make me crazy?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by blw
I have been battling this for a long time and have not found a solution. Two dealers have looked into it. I just replaced the trackbar with a massive metal cloak one - no improvement. I have replaced all the bolts with the synergy kit. Everything has been checked and double checked (please don't point me to planman again).

If I cross a certain set of railroad tracks over 40 MPH I get violent death wobble.

Mine has a Mopar 2 inch lift (installed by dealer when I bought it).

Here's the kicker - I bought it new, it is a 2010, and it only has 8K miles on it because nobody wants to drive it.

The last dealer said they don't do the Mopar lift, but instead only offer AEV, and that I should consider swapping out the Mopar for the AEV lift. But they make no guarantees it will resolve the issue!

Long story short, I love my Jeep, but am leery of ever doing a lift again. I think I am going to trade it in to the dealer and by a new JK as there really is nothing like it (no doors and no top!). Does that make me crazy?
There are even some that do it right from the factory!

Did you check that the holes in the mounting bracket for the track bar weren't egged out before the synergy bolt kit went in?

If so like mine were, I installed the Synergy support bracket in and it solved it.

Ball joints and tie rod ends good?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:26 PM
-

interesting thought came to mind.. what is the required tire pressure for the front as compared to the rear tires.. could the air pressure have something to do with this?.. cause right now my tires are running a little lower than normal.. and I tend to keep them the same pressure as the rear tires..

Then as indicated in another post.. how much weight does everyone have in the cargo area.. could this be an issue having the jeep tilt back and what about bully bar type bumpers. Is the wobble more noticeable with heavy bumpers or lighter bumpers.. seems to me purchasing a leveling kit might make a difference..
Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
interesting thought came to mind.. what is the required tire pressure for the front as compared to the rear tires.. could the air pressure have something to do with this?.. cause right now my tires are running a little lower than normal.. and I tend to keep them the same pressure as the rear tires..

Then as indicated in another post.. how much weight does everyone have in the cargo area.. could this be an issue having the jeep tilt back and what about bully bar type bumpers. Is the wobble more noticeable with heavy bumpers or lighter bumpers.. seems to me purchasing a leveling kit might make a difference..
Should make no difference....something is moving in the suspension/steering to cause DW

Old 09-17-2014, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Welcome to the club. I bought my 07 in 09, with just under 36,000. I had DW not long after past 36,000 and being stock. The same thing highway speed and a bump. Did it again twice traveling back from CO to KY, still stock. Had it off and on since. Went thru planmans routine, replaced ball joints with synergy. Put a lift on and still does it. Gonna go back to stock and sell and never have another ever again.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow did you guys that never got it fixed check the mount holes on the axle and frame side

Even a slight no perfect hole in those mounts is enough play to get the DW

Quick Reply: Death Wobble for the First Time