Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Death Wobble turns out to be tires!

Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death Wobble turns out to be tires!

I started to panic last week when I got my JK back from the dealership. Under warranty they replaced my front axle seals and several other items. I had them change the oil and rotate the tires. When I get her back I noticed my sterring wheel had a little bit of wobble in it that was not there before. I immediately slid under the front and started looking for evidence of stuff being loosened or wear. I saw nothing. After scratchin' my head a lot I decided to put the tires back where they were before the rotation and it cured the wobble. It was really weird because the wobble was not constant. It was only when I would hit a rough spot in the road or grooves the wobble would really get going and I would have to stop and get things under control before continuing. So I guess it really wasn't death wobble but it sure did scare me. I have been running my Rough Country 4 inch lift for over a year now on 35's with no problems at all. She is great up to 100 mph on the highway and performs quite well offroad too. If your'e on a budget don't count these guys out. If money were no object there is no doubt I would be running a OffRoad Evo Long Arm suspension. I just don't have that kinda scratch layin around my house.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fixed front axle seals and didn't give you a hard time with your mods?!

How would the tire rotation give wobble?

And you go 100mph with 4"lift and 35's?!? Brave man! i hate going faster than 70mph
Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

They not only replaced my front axle seals, they replaces the right rear axle seal. During the rear seal they noticed the axle was scored and replaced the whole axle shaft and bearing. While they had it there they also checked the exhaust manifold gaskets and found one to be leaking so they replaced them both! All covered under warranty. Plus, with the axle seals I got my diff oil changed out too! Major score! I have body damage and my skid plates look like my Jeep was dropped out of a C-130 onto a pile of rocks. I love my dealership.

The wobble was from one or two of the tires being out of balance. They must have thrown a weight.

When I say, 100, I am talking about a smooth highway surface with no grooves and I am not weaving in and out of traffic. I had a local shop dial in the driveline angles and toe in for me. The shop owners son works for a local off-road race shop here in So Cal so it seems he has a clue how do do it right.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
And you go 100mph with 4"lift and 35's?!? Brave man! i hate going faster than 70mph
This! My Jeep starts to vibrate uncomfortably at 74mph. :/
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM
CFA
JK Newbie

Sounds to me like you need a srt grand cherokee instead of driving 100 mph in your rig, I wouldn't want me or my family anywhere near you driving like that, and i don't give a rats arse how smooth the road that's just plain dumb.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just FYI I have only taken it up to 100 a couple times and that was at 0330 hours with no traffic around. I am not a complete a$$hole. I drive with traffic or slower is my norm dude.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

I'm glad your DW seems to be fixed. Have you redone your front end alignment? That is fix #1. #2 is new trackbar bolts. The stock ones are 14mm and the holes are sized for 5/8". You would be surprised at how much space they have to play with in the holes. Sounds like you hit up fix #3, which was rebalancing the tires.

Strange how rotating the tires does that. Are they all the same size? Probably a silly question.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by immortalmetal
The fixed front axle seals and didn't give you a hard time with your mods?!

How would the tire rotation give wobble?

I thought the same... Should have been the spare tire...

With 4" lift & 35s, on smooth highway, I'm typically on ~70mph. Sometimes it's up to 75~80 for a short time. It feels misleadingly solid & stable. A Jeep is not as tolerant to emergency maneuvers at higher speeds as a car is.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-09-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sempermarc
Just FYI I have only taken it up to 100 a couple times and that was at 0330 hours with no traffic around. I am not a complete a$$hole. I drive with traffic or slower is my norm dude.
At 100mph, in a lifted Jeep, at night, trying to suddenly avoid something that's on the road... please, at least consider your Jeep, if not yourself...

Last edited by GJeep; 09-09-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was not a 2 lane road. I was on a 5 lane well lit stretch of paved highway with no traffic. Yes, I know it won't slip through the chicanes at Laguna Seca.........

Quick Reply: Death Wobble turns out to be tires!