Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Deep mud and water for manual tranny

Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes please how do you clean it out? i heard just pouring water under the jeep and then letting it dry before using works, but it doesnt sound rite to me. so how do you clean it?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

"In the Day" we use to simply (with the engine off) take a garden hose and flush the bell housing out with clean water until it continued to drain out clean. Then we'd start the truck without shifting it or driving it, shut it off and do it over again. Start it up again and let it run for about 15 minutes to "spin dry" the clutch assembly and go ahead and drive it again. Some one PLEASE let me know if this isn't recommended for the newer vehicles as I haven't done this for at least 20 years! I won't take offense if I'm wrong about this with the newer vehicles. I don't wish to point him in the wrong direction! Take care... Mike
Old 02-14-2008, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

I just stick a hose up to the vent and spray the crap out of it until the water is clean. Won't hurt anything at all. Once you do that, you could have someone hold the clutch down and continue to spray. It's not water that kills the clutch... its debre that does it. And its not just the clutch that gets damaged. Its the flywheel as well.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

All right, I'm man enough to admit that I dont know where the vent hole is, so if someone can point in that direction, I would appreciate that. Also, if I wanted to change the transmission fluid, would I have to remove the center console to get to the fill plug?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:27 AM
JK Freak

how bout a video lol!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Just look at the bottom of the bellhousing where it connects to the engine. You will see two vent holes. The old YJ's did not have this problem as there where no vent holes and the slave cylinder was inside the bellhousing. The bad news was that darn slave cylinder kept crapping out on me.

Quick Reply: Deep mud and water for manual tranny