Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deisel Swap

Old 04-16-2016, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you drive a manual now, you best drive a manual with the diesel... I would go for a 4bt any day. The gas mileage is enough reason, the power is plenty in a quality 4bt build. Once this 3.6 dies out, 4bt all day... But I might have more then a few years to figure it out, he'll it might be a factory option!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

I'll try to answer your question as well as I can, but I have never driven a jeep with the 6BT so take my advice with a grain of salt.
The NV4500 is a solid transmission, incredibly strong, but that in itself has downsides. It is a slow shifter, it's designed for trucks, and it shifts like you're towing a trailer, not like a small gasser does. It has pretty unique blocking rings, I think they have some carbon fiber in them, and thus requires pretty expensive, hard to find oil. Replacement parts are getting harder to find, and more expensive. Also with any nv tranny getting into reverse is going to be a BIT*H until you learn it. There are better trannys from a truck standpoint, but packaging is going to kill you in the jeep. There are a few other options in auto and manual, some better, but a lot worse! It does have a really low first gear, which for crawling with a low geared t-case could be pretty awesome. So there's some details on that tranny. If you have any other options I'll try to give you some idea on my experience with them!
Old 04-17-2016, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Reidsjk
someone else brought up the need for deep pockets, i was asking for help on an issue, and was hoping people would have something to offer on that issue

A 6bt has a good amount of low end torque, especially with mods and tuning. Which in turn makes driving one with a manual a breeze, and quite fun. They are known for chewing up automatics and spitting them out in the truck world, but a lighter jeep may be a little easier on it. If it was me, I would go manual. But I love standards. I have an 01 cummins with the 5 speed I drive almost everyday while my $40k jeep sits in the garage because it's more fun to me. Not to mention it gets significantly better fuel mileage.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Default Question

I have a Hemi in my jeep right now and have researched high and low about installing a diesel. Mostly about the 4BT. This is a first about a 6BT in a JK. I do drive a manual Dodge with a 6.7 (6bt). Its great, but it has a G56 6 sp, which can be argued to be better or worse than the NV4500. Any more info on the 6BT in the Jeep. Most problems are not with the swap, but the electrical and the CAN buss interface.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Sensible deisel

Guys after 8 years of LS V8 swaps we have finally embarked on our first sensible diesel swap.

I have driven 4bt's and it's derivatives, great engine but many limitations in a JK chassis.

By sensible I mean USEPA compliant, light and compact. The old Mercedes Blue Tec was a good engine but very limited and expensive. The new VM 3.0 will run close to $20k for a new power train. The VM 2.8 CRD in not compliant in North America and weak.

Our first diesel swap will be the new GM baby Duramax 2.8. 180 HP and 360 Ft lbs of torque. I'm told this engine responds well to tuning and an increase of 30% more power is feasible.

I spoke with some GM techs who say the engine has performed great and is returning good mpg numbers. In addition the Baby Duramax will have the modern, low friction 6l50 transmission. We have learned over the years how important the transmission is for performance and with a low first gear and two tall overdrive's the 6l50 will keep the engine in it's power band; diesels have a relatively narrow power band and need diverse transmission gearing to be most efficient.

The Colorado Baby Duramax is relatively small, compact and available; unlike a 4BT it won't rattle the plastic off your interior. In fact the Baby Duramax uses modern hydraulic mounts similar to the one we use in our LS swaps for smooth running and minimal vibration transferred into the chassis.

My goal is 400 miles from a tank of diesel in a 4 door JK and the ability to cruise at 75 mph on 40's up high altitude grades.

I hope to have one running by the end of the year, we already have a 4 door JK lined up for the swap.

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 09-17-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
Guys after 8 years of LS V8 swaps we have finally embarked on our first sensible diesel swap.

I have driven 4bt's and it's derivatives, great engine but many limitations in a JK chassis.

By sensible I mean USEPA compliant, light and compact. The old Mercedes Blue Tec was a good engine but very limited and expensive. The new VM 3.0 will run close to $20k for a new power train. The VM 2.8 CRD in not compliant in North America and weak.

Our first diesel swap will be the new GM baby Duramax 2.8. 180 HP and 360 Ft lbs of torque. I'm told this engine responds well to tuning and an increase of 30% more power is feasible.

I spoke with some GM techs who say the engine has performed great and is returning good mpg numbers. In addition the Baby Duramax will have the modern, low friction 6l50 transmission. We have learned over the years how important the transmission is for performance and with a low first gear and two tall overdrive's the 6l50 will keep the engine in it's power band; diesels have a relatively narrow power band and need diverse transmission gearing to be most efficient.

The Colorado Baby Duramax is relatively small, compact and available; unlike a 4BT it won't rattle the plastic off your interior. In fact the Baby Duramax uses modern hydraulic mounts similar to the one we use in our LS swaps for smooth running and minimal vibration transferred into the chassis.

My goal is 400 miles from a tank of diesel in a 4 door JK and the ability to cruise at 75 mph on 40's up high altitude grades.

I hope to have one running by the end of the year, we already have a 4 door JK lined up for the swap.
Robbie, This sounds great to me. I am not ready for a swap yet, but I have been looking a lot. I will be greatly interested to see how this goes. Please keep us updated on this.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any updates on this project?
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would love to see a JK with either the baby duramax or even the new Cummins Crate 4 cyl diesel. They both would offer huge weight savings over the 4BT and massive weight savings over a 6BT.

A manual behind a diesel is always fun. With a small JK you would probably be launching in 2nd or 3rd gear. If you can get a modern automatic that can be reprogrammed things would be great but I don't know what is out there.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 3.0L ecotec found in the Grand Cherokee would make far more sense. It's a great engine and far more plug and play. Banks has already done most of the work as well. Plus, it's likely to find its way into the new JL. That said, I wouldn't be too excited having to add a DEF tank.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Btw, someone on JKO swapped in a full size Duramax. For those who are curious.

Quick Reply: Deisel Swap