Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diagnosing a Grinding Noise!!

Old 02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing the grind??

Ok! Here is my nightmare of a JK story! I purchase my JK in '07 within 5 months of owning I bent up a D30 axle tube pretty bad (not jumping). I took it back to the dealer and everything was replaced. In '08 I'm out wheeling one day (still with the d30) on a decent trail, come up to a rocky section and right when I'm at the to the top, boom. I get out to assess the Jeep and came to the obvious conclusion that I've stripped a axle, no biggie. At this point I told myself no more D30's and am ready for the Rubi 44 since a Dana 60 was out of my price range. Afther the install on the Rubi 44 I am creeping around in the yard in 4-l0 and still here the same grinding. I take it back to the dealership and tell them about the problem's I am having. It was there for 6 weeks and every time I talked with service it was always a different problem. The 1st excuse was the transfer case(it needed a bearing), the next excuse was the rear end(bad bearings) and this kept going on for a couple of weeks. They finally call me and tell me to come get pick it up. I arrive to pickup the jeep, grab my key, and sign for it. Well before I left the parking lot I put it in 4-lo and the noise was still there. I was so pissed off at this point I couldn't see straight. I go inside to tell the guy an he brings out one of the mechanic's to drive it again. After 10 mins or so he tells me this is some new noise. I call bull sh**, this is the same grinding noise. The mechanic then precedes to tell me that its the e-locker on the stock axle, I call bull sh** again. I simply looked at the manager and walked away. My jeep will never see that dealership again. I am only 25 and the service manager talked down to me like I was a kid. So , basically I'm asking the JK brother & Sisterhood " What do I do from here??

Last edited by freshjk; 02-02-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find a new dealer, or take it to a 4x4 specialty shop. If you take it to a 4x4 specialty shop you will have to pay, but you will probably get a much better diagnosis and have more ammo about what the true problem is when you go to said new dealer.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a Grinding Noise!!