Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Diagnosis Help?

Old 01-04-2018, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis Help?

Just installed Duratracs (315/75R16) and Spidertrax 1.25" spacers on my '11 JKU. No lift, Mopar High Top Flares.

Was golden for the first 30 miles, shared between around town and highway, then all of the sudden developed a significant "rotational thud" out of nowhere - it's a loud "thud" type sound from the rear that speeds up in frequency as I pick up speed - interestingly i don't hear it so much going up hill, but very much down hill.

As I'm in the zone of the winter cluster-f happening right now, and don't have an indoor garage, wasn't sure if anyone had experience with this before I started pulling the wheels off in single digit weather.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Is it possible that you have build-up of mud/ice/snow on the wheel area? Another alternative, you don't want to experience, is that your rear end gears are going out. Your description is rather close (except for that uphill/downhill part) to when mine did. If you're having some of this weather making the news lately, I'd say probably the former. :-)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The snow/ice build up makes total sense - except the issue started the day before the weather did...

Quick Reply: Diagnosis Help?