Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dick Cepeck FC II vs. Pro Comp Xtreme AT vs. Cooper ST

Old 05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuka
Except he specifically said he wants a tire that does well in the winter. Which means that limits out tires that don't have sipes. Like most mud tires, the KM2 is not a good snow tire.
I didnt have any problems with mine in the snow last winter it was mild are deepest snow was only 6 inches
Old 05-07-2009, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cepek FC II

Hi,

I've had mine on for about 8k miles and like them so far. I've never ran 35's before so my experience is kinda lacking but here are a few of my thoughts.

1. They have been great in the rain, I've never felt them slip even with hard breaking.

2. Very good on frosty/icy roads, again no slipping.

3. Good also off road, even in mud. They seemed to be just as good as the stock BFG KM's that came with my Rubi. But, I try to stay out of the real sloppy stuff so I may not have been pushing them hard.

4. Wear has been good, though it took a while for the little rubber nubs on the edges of the treads to wear. It was from too high of PSI, I emailed Cepek and they told me to run 28 front/25 rear. Even then the wear was uneven so I dropped to 27/24 and wear is good. I also like having tires that not to many other guys have and they look cool, I think.

Negatives:

1. They seem sensitive to different pressure. If the sun has been on one side of the Jeep while it is sitting and heats the tires the Jeep wanders a bit on the road.
Maybe this is normal for 35 and larger tires?

2. Quality from tire to tire. Cepeks quality control is probably not as good as the bigger named guys. When mounting the tires at 4 Wheel Parts one tire got a huge bulge on the sidewall. It was replaced of course. There are a lot of little rubber flaps from the molding process, like rubber leaked trough the molds. Not a big deal but is not normally seen to this degree with BFG or Toyo. Cepek does seem like a "boutique" tire manufacture, even though they are owned by Cooper.

3. Price for what you get. I paid $211 per tire at a local 4 Wheel Drive Parts, they were having a sale, they normally list for $244. For me this is the upper end of what I want to pay for tires.

4. Availability. I wanted the Cepek, but no one carried them locally until I searched Tacoma, you could do mail order, but I didn't want to go that route.

Over all, I'd buy them again, but not at full list price. We will see how many miles I get, but like I said I've got almost 8k and they are wearing great now I got the PSI where it should be. Good luck with your choice!

-Derek
Old 05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote FC-II's

ran a set on my 02 F150 Supercrew...very happy with the wear about 65K miles on that set, very quiet A/T tire with the looks of a Mudder also, worked great in the mud, sand and snow.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Percheron
Hi,

1. They seem sensitive to different pressure. If the sun has been on one side of the Jeep while it is sitting and heats the tires the Jeep wanders a bit on the road.
Maybe this is normal for 35 and larger tires?

-Derek
If you fill them with nitrogen, this won't happen anymore. A larger tire will have a lager air pressure variance with temperature due to the larger volume.

And to the OP: Which ever of the three you go with, chances are you will be happy. And you will be buying a tire made in america, made by an american owned company. Not that there is anything wrong with BFG, Nitto, or Toyo, I just like to see people buy american.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stuka
If you fill them with nitrogen, this won't happen anymore. A larger tire will have a lager air pressure variance with temperature due to the larger volume.
Thats what I figured, but I think filling with nitrogen is way more than I want to do to solve this little annoyance, for me anyway.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Percheron
Thats what I figured, but I think filling with nitrogen is way more than I want to do to solve this little annoyance, for me anyway.
My local tire place is only $4.50 per tire for nitro.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 AM
JK Freak

I've got 14000 km's on my 35' FCII's. They've been a great tire so far. I too was looking for a very streetable tire that works well on wet, slippery roads and allows me to play on weekends. The FCII's work ok in the sloppy muck as long as you get em spinning fast enough. The muck doesn't just fall out like a good mud terrain tire, you gotta sling it out.

Quick Reply: Dick Cepeck FC II vs. Pro Comp Xtreme AT vs. Cooper ST