Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different tread depth and 4x4?

Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different tread depth and 4x4?

Ok guys I scored a used set of five 315/70R17 GY Duratracs. The friend I got them from lives out of town and wasn't able to bring the 5th tire with him and won't be able to bring it to me for at least a month. The tire he couldn't bring has 13 or 14/32's of thread left on it.

Of the four tires that are currently here two have 13/32's or thread, one has 14/32's of tread and one has 11/32's of tread.

I was initially planning to use the tire with 11/32's as the spare and run the other four as they're close to the same tread, but...

So what can happen if I run this mix match of treads. The only one I'm concerned about is the 11/32 tire. I figured I'd put it on the rear with one of the 13/32 tires and put the remaining tires with 13 and 14/ 32's on the front.

If this will be an issue I will reluctantly keep running my 33's and wait for the oher tire to show up.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

no issues, you will be fine
Old 01-11-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Freak

I've been running my spare that has 1/16" difference from all the others for about 20k miles now...no issues.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the same will always happen when a five tire rotation is followed. Every time the spare falls into the rotation it will be just slightly "larger" than the rest of the three tires already in the rotation. I have never heard of a instance where this created any kind of issues
Old 01-11-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Northern Wrangler
Ok guys I scored a used set of five 315/70R17 GY Duratracs. The friend I got them from lives out of town and wasn't able to bring the 5th tire with him and won't be able to bring it to me for at least a month. The tire he couldn't bring has 13 or 14/32's of thread left on it.

Of the four tires that are currently here two have 13/32's or thread, one has 14/32's of tread and one has 11/32's of tread.

I was initially planning to use the tire with 11/32's as the spare and run the other four as they're close to the same tread, but...

So what can happen if I run this mix match of treads. The only one I'm concerned about is the 11/32 tire. I figured I'd put it on the rear with one of the 13/32 tires and put the remaining tires with 13 and 14/ 32's on the front.

If this will be an issue I will reluctantly keep running my 33's and wait for the oher tire to show up.

Thanks.
I would probably agree with you. However, if your JK pulls to the right like most JK's do; you might consider putting the 11/32 tire on the left front to help correct some. Then swap in the other tire when you get it, and move the 11/32 tire to the spare.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

Thanks guys. I didn't get the tires until it was too late to get them installed today. I checked the tread depth again and two were actually at 14/32's, one was at just under 11/32's and one was at 11/32's. So the deeper tread to the rear and the lessor tread to the front.

My friend said he'll have the 5th tire to me before months end...so I guess I have to keep my 33 on the rear in case of emergencies. Lets hope I don't need to use it.

At what tread depth would you say I should not use the tires anymore. Once again the original depth is 18/32's.

Quick Reply: Different tread depth and 4x4?