Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Discount Tire Direct and 2013 TPMS

Old 10-11-2012, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discount Tire Direct and 2013 TPMS

I'm ordering Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s from Discount Tire Direct and I was wondering what sensors they should install so the 2013 TPMS will still work. I heard the new sensors are 433 mhz but just want to make sure it will fuction properly.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you called them or pm them on here. They should know
Old 10-11-2012, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

I called them. The first guy I spoke to said I'm better off remounting them with the stock sensors. The second guy said 433mhz will work.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foxbody
Just have them pull the stock sensors out and put into your new tires.
On a side note, how is this done.....I know the sensor is either in or near the valve stem, but can they take the TPMS out without unmounting the tire from the wheel? Is it in the valve stem and only requires you to let the air out, or is it inside the tire and you have to remove it form the wheel?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Sensors

I'm pretty sure it is the whole valve assembly. They will need to break the tires down on your stock rims and replace them into your discount tire rim package. I know it sucks a bit... I'm thinking of just forgetting about the sensors and living with a light on in the dash.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

They have a special rubber valve stem. When they remove the tire the sensor unscrews from the valve stem. My local tire charged my $15 per stem
If you don't want to use the sensors the AVE Procal can take care of the light
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Just had my sensors pulled and rubber valve stems intalled and the Procal does the rest!Click image for larger version

Name:	green rubi.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	377141
Old 10-12-2012, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to hijack your thread, but I to am in the process of selling my tires and getting new ones (wheels and tires) from Discount Tire (either local of online through DT Direct) and called the local Discount Tire to talk this through. He said they would need to unmount and remount the tires to get the TPMS out and it would cost $19.95 a tire, so $100 for all 5!!! :(

I then asked if I bought new tires and wheels from them, would they roll this process into mounting the new ones at no charge and he said they would work something out, so I then asked if I wasn't quite ready to fully pay for the new tires just yet (funds pending sale of another item) but could put a deposit down on the new wheels and tires would they "eat" the cost of removing the TPMS so I could sell my older tires, and he said he would work it into the deal...meaning it would be no charge.

He also said he would match the $50 online savings listed on DTD for the Level 8 Trackers, which is an online savings if I bought the full package through them locally.

And if you are curious, I am selling my factory Rubicon Wheels and Tires, but luckily, I have an older set of factory Goodyear SRA on 17" Aluminum wheels from my 2010 left over and will run those until I can get the new set of 33" Duratrac on 15" Level 8 Trackers!!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JoeJKUR
I'm ordering Nitto Trail Grapplers 35s from Discount Tire Direct and I was wondering what sensors they should install so the 2013 TPMS will still work. I heard the new sensors are 433 mhz but just want to make sure it will fuction properly.
My buddy put 35s on his 2013 rubicon

You MUST re use your factory TPMS sensors. The aftermarket ones will not work in the new system yet. Until someone comes out with something that is compatible this is your only option to keep the light off.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get factory tpms pn ebay, set of 4 for $50. I bought some for my 35s then sold my stock ones later. The 13 tpms sensors are backwards compatable to previous year jk

Quick Reply: Discount Tire Direct and 2013 TPMS