Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need hub centric rings with my new ProComp wheels?

Old 02-03-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need hub centric rings with my new ProComp wheels?

I just got some ProComp 7189 wheels shipped to me last week and I haven't had a chance to have my tires mounted yet.

I read another thread where somebody said Procomp wheels are not hub centric. Mine are the 16x8 with 4.5" backspace.

So, To anyone with the ProComp wheels, Do I need to get some hub centric rings?

For anyone not familiar with hub centric rings. They are used for wheels that have a larger center bore than the hub they are mounted to. Takes the load off the wheel studs and puts it back on the axle hub.

Thanks in advance for any help with this. I thought I would post here before I did a test fit.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool I dunno for sure

I've got ProComp 7089, and I just took 'em to Merchant Tire for mount and balance. Didn't do anything special. But then again, I have no idea what hub-centric means, and maybe I'm screwed ...
Old 02-03-2008, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

you should be fine. I have aftermarket wheels that don't have hubcentric rings... they ride just fine. there are probably pros and cons to both. but my advise would be to do what i did... put the wheels on without the rings, and if they shake/vibrate and you know the balance to be good, then order them. But chances are you'll be fine.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

So you only need the hub centric rings if you have a vibration?
Does that mean the wheel didn't center using the studs?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Newbie

I have an 08 with 16x8 ProComp 8069 wheels with 33" tires. The ride is smooth as glass even at 80 mph. No shimmy at all. No hub centric ring.

Make sure you use the correct lug nuts with the new wheels. The stock ones
will not work with the ProComps.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Just to clarify - the bore can be hub centric w/o an additional ring...as in they make hub centric RIMS......kind of like spacers for wheels with too much BS, vs rims with less BS that don't need spacers, etc.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe most of the wheels nowadays are centered by the lug nuts. The wheels/nuts match up and center the wheel on the hub by using angled connecting points. There is a term for it I just can't remember it.

I think the only downside to this is that the weight of the vehicle is carried more by the studs than the axle. Maybe this creats a more weak area?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you mentioned this as I had to deal with this issue!!!!!!

Yellowjeep is wise!!!

X2 Get 'em if you experience any vibration from your wheels not corrected by a wheel balancer and weights.
If you don't vibrate.....good for you!!!!

If you do.....don't bother calling procomp (i did) and they said they dont make 'em (hubcentric rings) for their wheels.

sooooooo.......there are people who sell these rings on-line (no vendor list means no referral) so just look around, measure, and order. ($35.00 shipped) BTW.....the plastic ones are better than the metal FYI

Problem solved!

Last edited by A'sJK; 02-04-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

If you do a search on this you will find a posting that goes into depth on this subject. In short, hub centrix rims/shims make it so the weight of the vehicle is evenly put on the hub section of the rim and lugs. With non-hub centric rims the weight of the vehicle is put on the lugs. If you do some serious off-roading(hardcore rock climbing or balls to the wall in the mud **IE FLying style**) you should get the spacers. But normal off roading you shouldnt need it unless you plan on getting air.

Quick Reply: Do I need hub centric rings with my new ProComp wheels?