Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need new Shocks and Springs???

Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need new Shocks and Springs???

I have a 4DR 2007 X with the el cheapo OEM shocks. Its bumpy as heck and I just rode in a 2013 Rubicon - huge difference. My shocks aren't even gas powered and my guess is they are shot. Money is also a problem because I don't have much of it. I found a deal on CL for a set of almost new Rubi (red) shocks only 11 miles on them for $70. My question is

1. Will this make a big improvement?

2. Do I need the Rubi springs too?

3. Can I do all of this my self on the street in front of my apt with minimal tools?

Thanks for looking.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Newbie

Get the shocks; they will make a difference and you can install them yourself with wrenches and sockets (check the Project-JK write-ups). The springs won't make a difference unless they're higher-rated springs (based on the last two numbers in the part number, I believe). But swapping springs is much more labor/tool intensive. Good luck!
Old 11-11-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

If your shocks are shot the Rubi shocks should be an improvement, you won't need Rubi springs unless you just want them, and you just need a couple of metric wrenches complete the swap. Having gear wrenches will help a lot with the front top nut.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:22 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiftKnowledge
I have a 4DR 2007 X with the el cheapo OEM shocks. Its bumpy as heck and I just rode in a 2013 Rubicon - huge difference. My shocks aren't even gas powered and my guess is they are shot. Money is also a problem because I don't have much of it. I found a deal on CL for a set of almost new Rubi (red) shocks only 11 miles on them for $70. My question is

1. Will this make a big improvement?

2. Do I need the Rubi springs too?

3. Can I do all of this my self on the street in front of my apt with minimal tools?

Thanks for looking.
1. Yes.

2. Unless you want to get any additional lift. Check the last two digits on springs and compare to see it it would make a difference. i replaced my springs and shocks on my 2 dr for a 4 dr. Springs went from 14/55's to 18/59's. Gained around 1.5 - 1.75". Might be slightly different with a 4 dr to a 4 dr.

3. Yes very easy with the right tools. Took me and a buddy 3 - 4 hours replacings springs, shocks, and installing spacers.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll just do the shocks for now and see how that goes. My cousin might have a jack I can borrow to make the process faster. My fenders/bumpers are really faded so now I just need to figure out how to paint them so they will have a new look. I'm looking at plasti dip and truck bed coating as a solution.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
JK Freak

Shift,,,, i am in the process of building my 2012. I am just south of you in Huntington Beach. if you want my stock fender flares, shocks, bumpers,,, make an offer! I heard $70 earlier in the thread. You can have them all for that!
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have stock shocks and springs off of a 4door Rubicon. Sitting in my garage. Come get them
Old 11-11-2012, 07:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you can get hold of fresh springs with high numbers and a set of rubi shocks, go for it. Well worth the effort unless you want to go the serious lift route.

Quick Reply: Do I need new Shocks and Springs???