Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Do I need to re-align my jeep for different set/size of tires??

Old 11-25-2014, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need to re-align my jeep for different set/size of tires??

Hello fellow jeep people!

I have a Jeep Wrangler 4Dr Sport, 3" BDS Lift with fixed lower control arms, running 35" Toyos. I recently had my stock 32's rebalanced and was thinking i could use these for any long road trips since its my mostly daily driver. I put the 32's on, i get on the HWY hit a small bump in the road and i get the Death wobble! Needless to say i shit my pants. This is about the 3K make running with the Lift. My Question is, Are 35" tires aligned different than the stock 32's? I put my 35's back on and i believe there is a bit more vibration when i hit bumps now, should i get a adjustable track bar?

Another Question, the Teraflex front Massive Track bar. Any thoughts on it?

Thanks Guys,
Happy Trails

Last edited by mike27; 11-25-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are asking if you need a part you have already ordered? and then asking what people think about it?

No, you do not need an adjustable track bar but unless you have raised it and done a d-link flip it will help center your axle.

No, an alignment would not be different for different sized tires.

Toe could be out, but I would first check the bolts are all tight and look at the condition of the joints. (Verify by shaking the track bar, drag link, and arms.) If all seems okay, I would then check toe.

As for the TF bar, I am not a fan...
Old 11-25-2014, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

AH i did get my alignment done at Les Schwab, might explain why. Looks like the Toe is out. Couldnt find a BDS Front track bar for my 2014 so i went with i thought is a good brand and design.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mike27
AH i did get my alignment done at Les Schwab, might explain why. Looks like the Toe is out. Couldnt find a BDS Front track bar for my 2014 so i went with i thought is a good brand and design.
Sorry, I just re-read my post and didn't mean to come off like an ass....

I haven't seen the TF bar fail in person, but have read several threads where it has happened. I personally do not like TF so there so there is baggage on my OP.

Without adjustable arms, there is nothing that can be done to alter the caster. So the only things left are toe and steering wheel position. Both can be done pretty well with a tape measure and patience.

If you are going to have the alignment checked, have them set the toe near the limit for "toe in" I have found this works better, but will require more frequent tire rotations for good wear.

This said, your first focus really should be on loose or damages parts.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jnabird333
Sorry, I just re-read my post and didn't mean to come off like an ass....

I haven't seen the TF bar fail in person, but have read several threads where it has happened. I personally do not like TF so there so there is baggage on my OP.

Without adjustable arms, there is nothing that can be done to alter the caster. So the only things left are toe and steering wheel position. Both can be done pretty well with a tape measure and patience.

If you are going to have the alignment checked, have them set the toe near the limit for "toe in" I have found this works better, but will require more frequent tire rotations for good wear.

This said, your first focus really should be on loose or damages parts.
No Worries! I think im going to loosen most of my bolts and double check my torque settings & for damage. Do you think i shoukd just invest in all new adjustable arms in the front?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mike27
No Worries! I think im going to loosen most of my bolts and double check my torque settings & for damage. Do you think i shoukd just invest in all new adjustable arms in the front?
When you said your arms are fixed, do you mean they are stock, or are they replaced as part of the kit?

If they are stock I would think your caster is pushing it at 3" and I would replace them to bring it in some. If they are replacement ones that came with the kit they likely are different lenghts to attampt a correction.

Also, while tires really shouldn't cause DW, a damaged or poorly worn tire can help initiate it. I would stick to one set while you are troubleshooting to limit the changes.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The kit came with longer (fixed) lower control arms to adjust the caster. No need to replace them. If you want to adjust the caster/pinion more, grab a set of upper adjustable arms.

Up in the Writeups area, there is a great DeathWobble diagnosis thread stuck right at the top. It is worth a few minutes reading through it and watching the vids.

As noted, the caster and camber can not be adjusted with your current components. So all an alignment shop will do is set the toe-in, if they do anything at all. Some shops will throw it on a rack and print out the specs for free. Look around and see if you can find one just so you have the numbers, then make a decision on whether to pay them from there.

You could also rotate/re-balance the tires to see if anything changes, but more than likely the wobble is due to loose or worn components.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jnabird333
This was true of the first TeraFlex Monster track bar design. The current design fixed the flaw btw.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The TF Monster bars are as good as anything on the market, better than most. Tough as nails and super easy to set up. They had some early front ones fail, broke at the threads. Caused by having the front arms adjusted too long, bar hit the front cross member on stuff until it broke. TF moved the adjuster further out on the bar and solved the issue.

FWIW, I ran their original design for 40k miles, no issues. Set & forget. One of their reps wanted me to swap it out for the new one and provided it FOC...who was I to say no? They asked me to send them a photo of the old one cut in half for their records. Oh sure, no sweat. It took four Sawzall blades and a shattered cut off wheel before the deed was done.

Would add that a certain individual with his own web site who has a rather high opinion of his own opinions has been trashing Teraflex in general for some time, in particular their tire carriers and track bars. As usual, you can safely ignore anything he says on these subjects. He has a business axe to grind with some companies and uses his web site to blackmail them. Well known shakedown artist.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:19 PM
JK Freak

My issues with TF are mine and mine alone.

Quick Reply: Do I need to re-align my jeep for different set/size of tires??