Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does an adjustable trackbar still need a relocation bracket

Old 10-21-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does an adjustable trackbar still need a relocation bracket

Unless my eyes deceive me, I believe I have seen differing views on this. So the questions stands...does an adjustable trackbar still need a relocation bracket to correct suspension geometry?

For example, I have an adjustable rear trackbar on a Jeep with @ 5 in. lift, do I still need to elevate the trackbar at the axle, or conversely drop the trackbar at the frame, to correct geometry?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

depending on how much lift you have, yes, i would install a relocation bracket in addition to an adjustable trackbar. at 2"-3", no, it's not really necessary but once you start getting to 4" and more, the relocation bracket will help correct the geometry. however, it is IMPORTANT that up front you install a dropped pitman arm or flip the drag link at the same time.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepyJeep
Unless my eyes deceive me, I believe I have seen differing views on this. So the questions stands...does an adjustable trackbar still need a relocation bracket to correct suspension geometry?

For example, I have an adjustable rear trackbar on a Jeep with @ 5 in. lift, do I still need to elevate the trackbar at the axle, or conversely drop the trackbar at the frame, to correct geometry?
I just had this discussion with TeraFlex. I lifted 2.5" and do not need the relocation bracket. The rear adjustable trackbar is installed and working fine. It does, however, require that you extend the ball joint further out of the trackbar than you would if you used the relocation bracket. A larger lift would require the bracket because the screw-end connector on the ball joint is not long enough.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
depending on how much lift you have, yes, i would install a relocation bracket in addition to an adjustable trackbar. at 2"-3", no, it's not really necessary but once you start getting to 4" and more, the relocation bracket will help correct the geometry. however, it is IMPORTANT that up front you install a dropped pitman arm or flip the drag link at the same time.
So you are saying that if I have a 4inch lift I have to install a dropped pitman? can you explain it to me ?

I have this same question... and other guys said that I should remove the relocation bracket because now I have a front Adj. trackbar... so remove the relocation bracket or not?
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by jkerr
I just had this discussion with TeraFlex. I lifted 2.5" and do not need the relocation bracket. The rear adjustable trackbar is installed and working fine. It does, however, require that you extend the ball joint further out of the trackbar than you would if you used the relocation bracket. A larger lift would require the bracket because the screw-end connector on the ball joint is not long enough.
you'll forgive me but this information is not entirely correct. even if the joint had enough thread to extend it long enough, you should still install relocation brackets (and address your draglink up front) IF you are lifting your jeep 4" or more. at this height, the angle of your trackbar and draglink will be pretty steep and among other things, this will effect the handling of your your jeep. idealy, you want your trackbars as parallel to your axle as possible just like stock and your drag link NEEDS to be parallel to your front track bar as well.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aBē
So you are saying that if I have a 4inch lift I have to install a dropped pitman? can you explain it to me ?

I have this same question... and other guys said that I should remove the relocation bracket because now I have a front Adj. trackbar... so remove the relocation bracket or not?
The pitman arm will help level the drag link. The more you lift the larger the angle of the drag link which in turn translates bumps directly into your steering wheel.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by aBē

while it's not required, installing a track bar relocation bracket AND dropped pitman arm OR drag link flip kit will help improve the handling of your jeep if you have 4" of lift or more. you would ONLY install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip kit IF you are relocating your track bar bracket. to do one without the other would cause all kinds of problems.

needless to say, IF you have a front track bar relocation bracket installed now and DO NOT have a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip kit installed as well, yes, you should remove the relocation bracket.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Freak

while it's not required, installing a track bar relocation bracket AND dropped pitman arm OR drag link flip kit will help improve the handling of your jeep if you have 4" of lift or more. you would ONLY install a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip kit IF you are relocating your track bar bracket. to do one without the other would cause all kinds of problems.

needless to say, IF you have a front track bar relocation bracket installed now and DO NOT have a dropped pitman arm or drag link flip kit installed as well, yes, you should remove the relocation bracket.
Ok... here's what I understand in a few words, correct me if I'm wrong

4inch lift + Trackbar Relocation Bracket + Stock Trackbar = You'll need drop pitman or drag link flip kit

4inch lift + Stock Trackbar Bracket + Adj. Trackbar = No need for pitman and/or draglink flip kit

Am I right??

In conclusion (If I'm right) I DO NOT NEED a drop pitman
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by aBē
Ok... here's what I understand in a few words, correct me if I'm wrong

4inch lift + Trackbar Relocation Bracket = You'll need drop pitman or drag link flip kit

4inch lift + Stock Trackbar Bracket + Adj. Trackbar = No need for pitman and/or draglink flip kit

Am I right??

In conclusion (If I'm right) I DO NOT NEED a drop pitman
yes. a track bar relocation bracket up front requires that you install a dropped pitman arm or flip the draglink at the same time. it is the only way you can keep the two parallel to each other and that is required.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK so it's off to find a relo bracket and and axle bracket brace to shore things up...

Quick Reply: Does an adjustable trackbar still need a relocation bracket