Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does bushing type really effect bolt holes wallowing?

Old 12-03-2010, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does bushing type really effect bolt holes wallowing?

I read this on another side and Im wondering if there is any truth to this. I thought that as long as bolts are tight, trackbar and control arm holes will not wallow out.

However this poster seems to think bushing type also plays into it?

A word on the OEM rubber bushing mounts:

Engineers are NOT idiots. They went with this technology for a reason. Have you noticed that some people have managed to destroy the cross bolt holes in their frame-end link mounts? This is because the link mounts were designed with fairly thin material.

The rubber bushing method of link joint is partially a shock absorber.

I know there are people who are STILL ovaling out those holes with stock links, but the engineering design is such that the expected loading, the link mount materials and the bushing/joint are all compatible. We're just exceeding the expected loading.

If you go to a non rubber bushing like a polyurethane, hiem or johnny joint, you're going to transmit sharper impulse loads and risk those mount holes even more.

They'll eventually need replacement with mounts made of heavier plate.

Last edited by Absolute; 12-04-2010 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Does bushing type really effect bolt holes wallowing?