Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does sahara and rubicon fits the same rear ring and pinion set?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does sahara and rubicon fits the same rear ring and pinion set?

hi everybody

i have a 2008 JK sahara, and i broke my front dana30 ( i completely broke the carrier, ring and pinion, left axle shaft in one time ) so i decided to swap the front axle with a Rubicon JK front axle.
so i have a 44 housing, ready to be filled with locker ( ARB RD157 ) RCVs and 4.88 R&P.

So for the front i know i must buy a Rubicon JK R&P set.

In the rear axle i'm going to mount ARB locker ( 35 spline RD147 ), that should fit Sahara R&P.... but my question is: are there any difference between Rubicon JK rear R&P and Sahara rear R&P

i assume there should not be differences.... but i'm not sure of it. can you help me?

thankyou!!!!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a difference. The D44 has a thinner ring gear. The Rubi D44 requires the D44 thick Ring gear. You will see them listed on the sites as thick. That being said I honestly don't know if you can run either or since you are replacing the R&P.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

that's my doubt!
because i know that RD147 fits both thick gears or non thick gears
i plan to run 4.88 instead 3.73

also because ARB application chart says that RD147 fits all gear ratios on JK axles.... that should mean that i must buy Rubicon gear set?

another thing that put some doubts on me, is the fact that many sites doesn't make difference between rear Rubicon and non rubicon dana44 JK rear axle...
Old 12-03-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I thought they had a different spline count.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
I thought they had a different spline count.
i was meaning that sites don't make difference between the two axles concerning ring an pinion only.... i know that spline count is different.
also shaft lenght is different, and carrier bearing diameter too... but i can find anywhere a topic that clearly says " if you buy rear JK ring and pinion set, you can mount it on rubicon JKs or on non-rubicon JKs as well " .

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I was looking at G2 gears the other day. If you go to their website and click the catalog link, you will see that they use the same part number for both the rubicon and non-rubicon rear r&p's. (different part numbers for the master install kits though, I assume to correct for the difference between the housings?)

The rear 4.88's in the catalog are part number 2-2052-488

And pretty sure the box for the rear 5.38's I'm running in my Sahara had a JK-Rubicon sticker on it.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

I would also like to know this, i was told rubicon gears for the RD147 in the standard rear housing
Old 12-02-2015, 05:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this. The only thing different in the rear Sahara D44 carrier side bearings. Ring and Pinion are the same for the Sahara And Rubicon. And yes the box of Yukon Gears I have says Rubicon JK on them.

So Ring and Pinion are the same but master instal kit is different.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default Same Gears

I know this is an old post, but to clear things up. TJ era DANA 44's used the thick and thin gears for Rubi vs Non-Rubi. To keep it simple, for the JK's they took that DANA 44 and gave it steroids; Dana 60 equiv. pinion shaft, thick ring gear, bigger bearings, high pinion on the front, bigger axles, and better u-joints to sum it up. Not all DANA 44's are created equal.

- Jeremy

Quick Reply: does sahara and rubicon fits the same rear ring and pinion set?