Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drag link is just that.. a drag!

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag link is just that.. a drag!

As most of us that like to tinker around under our jeeps and constantly mess with our suspension components know... adjusting the drag link can be such a hassle. Seems like everytime I disconnect the front trac bar, I'm spending half the day trying to get the drag link set right so the steering wheel isn't crooked... can be an even bigger hassle if you need to run to the parts store while working on a project but the wheel is crooked and even turning around the corner or at a stop light, the trac control kicks in. My question is, how do I keep the steering wheel centered when I disconnect my track bar? It would save so much pain and time. Lately ive been fiddling around under the front of my jeep and mess with the drag link entirely too much!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Freak

Why do you keep disconnecting the track bar ?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MangoWilly
As most of us that like to tinker around under our jeeps and constantly mess with our suspension components know... adjusting the drag link can be such a hassle. Seems like everytime I disconnect the front trac bar, I'm spending half the day trying to get the drag link set right so the steering wheel isn't crooked... can be an even bigger hassle if you need to run to the parts store while working on a project but the wheel is crooked and even turning around the corner or at a stop light, the trac control kicks in. My question is, how do I keep the steering wheel centered when I disconnect my track bar? It would save so much pain and time. Lately ive been fiddling around under the front of my jeep and mess with the drag link entirely too much!
Do you mean the sway bar? I too do not understand why you would constantly be disconnecting the track bar. The track bar centers the axle under your jeep. Once it is set, you should not need to adjust.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I put new bumpstops in recently.. so I had the suspension droop down far enough to where I would be able to get the spring in and out with the bumstop in place. Then a couple days later I received my SS relocation bracket, which utilizes the track bar hole... when I decide to throw my shock extensions and 1.5" spring spacers on, I will unfortunately have to disco and adjust the track bar. There are many reasons really
Old 12-31-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you disco the track bar and the body moves, you have to adjust the drag link to recenter the steering wheel everytime. Once your suspensions settles or springs start to sag, the track bar may need to be adjusted. I'd like to know how to keep the steering wheel aligned so that I don't have to mess with it everytime. I have done my own track bar adjustmants and alignments on mt jk and the draglink can be pesky
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You changed the height by installing the spacers, once you get it centered now you shouldn't have to re-center unless you change the lift amount again.Or you recenter your front axle by bracket or adj trackbar.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You changed the height by installing the spacers, once you get it centered now you shouldn't have to re-center unless you change the lift amount again.Or you recenter your front axle by bracket or adj trackbar.
Correct. But still had to adjust draglink after installing my SS relocation bracket just for the simple fact that I had to unbolt the track bar and the chassis shifted. Think there's a way to keep it from having to be recentered everytime.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Still not following. Even if you undid your trackbar, you shouldn't need to adjust your drag link. You should just be able to put your trackbar back in. Nothing else would have changed, so you shouldn't have shifted anything. Am I missing something here?
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

If you disconnect your track-bar, make no ride height changes, re-install your track-bar, and the steering wheel is off center, I would think your track-bar mount holes are elongated, allowing the track-bar to be re-installed in a slightly different position.

I would look at your mount holes and bolts. Your steering wheel really shouldn't move by just by just dis-connecting and re-connecting the track-bar. CM
Old 12-31-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Have a few and try again later, feeling

Quick Reply: drag link is just that.. a drag!