Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

drag link with tie rod ends question

Old 08-19-2008, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag link with tie rod ends question

ok so i installed my new bds front adjustable track bar and had to re-center my steering wheel which i've done b4 and i loosened the two nuts and could not turn the drag link but just a lil and now the esp is making it impossible to drive so im gonna order "rock Krawlers" new hd drag link and ive never messed with tie rod ends which the new drag link requires , do they just come right off when that top nut is unscrewed or do i need a special tool to remove it? and any advice in the mean time on how to deal with the old drag link? any other way to re-center the steering wheel?
Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

hello (echo)....(echo).....(echo).........(echo)........ .....................
Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Use a pitman arm puller, don't use the pickle fork (as pictured above) unless you don't care what the rubber boots are going to look like afterwords. I am speaking from personal experience. A pitman arm puller can be had from harbor freight for less than 10 bucks.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

so just remove the top nut and use the pitman arm puller to pry loose ?
and i can do the same for the tie rod?
and im pushing it but to install?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:42 PM
JK Freak

well thanx alot, i really appreciate your help. i can definitly save money doing this myself i just seems so easy to do. on the drag link unscrew the bolt hit it with the dead blow hammer and it should come out and to insatll i guess just pop it in..

and i guess its the same for the tie rod since its the rock krawler setup i wont be using the ends...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by roguejk
well thanx alot, i really appreciate your help. i can definitely save money doing this myself i just seems so easy to do. on the drag link unscrew the bolt hit it with the dead blow hammer and it should come out and to install i guess just pop it in..

and i guess its the same for the tie rod since its the rock krawler setup i wont be using the ends...
Loosen the draglink nut several turns, leaving it on by a couple threads. The pickle fork wedges between the pittman arm and the joint and when hit will force the joint loose. To install the new one, don't hit it. Use the nut to pull it up and seat it. That being said, when I installed my lift I beat and beat and beat and just couldn't get the thing to pop loose. I was calling people. Emailing people. And beating more. It was not giving up. I didn't want to give up either and after a break, I went out and smacked it again and it came right out. Guess you have to hit it just right. I was told by several people that they always use a puller instead of the pickle fork but I didn't have one that would work.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

are those the moog tie rod ends? well im just waiting for the moog rod ends to come in, i removed both bolts to the drag link and it wont come out not that i tried hard since i have to get the tie rod puller. i hope this setup is easier to re-center the steering wheel. i pick up my moog ends tomorrow (thursday the 21st.) along with the puller and i'll post my results, easy or hard to remove.... thanx for the advice, pics and help...
Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM
JK Freak

yeah, no one had them in stock and had to be ordered $83 bucks left side and the same for the right for the drag link, thats the reason why i didnt get the tie rod at the same time the damn rod ends are more than the rockkrawler part, but i gotta say its HD..
Old 08-21-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Freak

wow that pitman arm tierod end was a pain but I can't use my steering stabilizer relic. Bracket. I have to put it back to the stock location, any ideas?
Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
JK Freak

I gotta find me a fab shop my jeeps a daily driver
Hey, thanx for all your help......

Quick Reply: drag link with tie rod ends question